1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 434 Media Box

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by maxh, May 4, 2004.

1. maxh

maxh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi guys,

Last week I had the Pioneer 434 and 868i dvd player installed. I have to say that the DVD picture quality is truely fantastic. The SKY+ picture quality is impressive as well - especially on the movie channels.

My one gripe is that the media box has a noisey fan. I sit about 3m away from the box. I can hear it clearly whilst say watching the news. It is about twice as loud as the SKY+ fan.

I have searched this very informative forum and many people say the fan makes a slight noise (which I can live with) but should I be able to hear it from 3m away even with the TV volume on normal? By normal I mean that my Yamaha amp is at a volume of -55db.

I know that this can be a very subjective thing but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

2. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also sit approx. 3 meters away and find the media box fan very disturbing. I put cushions arond the box (without limiting the air circulation), put heavy dictionaries on the box to dampen the noise and placed a big and thick foamed plastic behind the box (you see, I wouldn't do these things just for a little nuisance) to little effect.

THESE JAPANESE ENGINEERS MUST BE DEAF !

I also sent back my Pioneer receiver back to replace it by a FANLESS Denon 1804.

I just do not understand why Pioneer doesn't do anything to help. It could be SOOOO EASY. (more silent fan, or no fan at all see Denon receivers). The box just consumes 38 Watts maximum.

COME ON PIONEER IT CAN'T BE THAT DIFFICULT !

3. frozendexter

frozendexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My media box is quieter than my SKY+ box! try moving the media box away from the wall to cut down sound reflection.

4. maxh

maxh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the suggestion - I tried moving the media box away from the wall. But it makes no real difference.

What are everyone else's experiences with the media box?

5. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just turned mine on, with the surround system off, and stood two metres away. It's barely audible. At three metres I can't hear a thing (the fish tank makes more noise!).

distance from rear wall 26 cm, and 30 cm from side wall, and it's in an alcove to boot, so you'd expect lots of reflections

Methinks you've got a duff fan.

6. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Same here - mine's inaudible.
    The only fan I can hear is the Sky+ box.