1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 434 & footy

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ROBERTT, Dec 9, 2003.

1. ROBERTT

ROBERTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I got my Pioneer this weekend and have just finished setting it up:clap: I am using an Isotek Mini-sub and Isotek mains leads for all sources including the plasma and media box.

With Sky+ am very happy with PQ with films and general TV viewing. The film channels all look great with no blocking, solarisation :p

Only one fault.....FOOTBALL. From the main camera shots (looking down on the pitch) all the players look slightly out of focus. When the camera is looking at individual players it is fine and also from ground level cameras looking out at the piitch the players look good. Its only when the camera is showing the whole pitch. The pitch looks poor as well?

I knew football would look worse than my CRT but this looks very artificial but why only on certain camera pans??. Would calibrating the plasma make any difference or an Iscan Ultra? Other than this I am extremely happy with the PQ but not sure I can live with these footy pics :thumbsdow

Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated

2. Arsenal

Arsenal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I kind of noticed this too when i went to watch a recording of the Arsenal - Fulham match i had, but from previous conversations with Joe Fernand and others, i get the impression that the iscan wouldn't make much improvement over the media box scaling and that for a noticable improvement it would probably require a Lumagen.. Don't know about you, but i think i'd definitely have to try one out in my own setup before i'd be willing to spend a grand on it!

3. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    /devilsadvocatemodeon

It's only football:devil: does the fact that you can't see the freckles on some overpaid bloke, kicking a bag of air around a field, from a 100yds detract that much from the actual game itself

/devilsadvocatemodeoff

If the pic quality for everything else is top n' sorted then surely that's all that matters? Especially as most footy matches are live broadcasts?, there must be some degradation in image quality, as I'd assume the broadcast doesn't go thru any pre-processing stages etc? unlike movies etc.

I've noticed the same thing one our 433MXE with regards to footy, in that long shots of players tend to make them look a bit like lego men (slightly blocky/out of focus).

regards
    Gary

4. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Turn off Pur Cinema option
    Increase sharpness to +2
    Contrast on 34-36
    Also MPEG noise reduction to low.

This improves the pitch and the overall picture

5. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even with the poor picture you could still see the grin on Gordon Strachan's face as Brett Ormerod got the winner!

But seriously, I watched the US football on Sky later on Sunday.....and that makes the UK footy picture look good! I presume that the problem is exacerbated by the translation from NTSC to PAL?

Chris

6. ROBERTT

ROBERTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Went to Pioneer dealer today. The salesperson's explanation was that there was not enough information in the signal (bit-rate) for the plasma to upscale. Thats why the players lack definition. Sounds plausable.......Gordon any comments??

7. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Football tonight is poor on SKY but I can confirm that Joys-r-Us settings do improve things quite considerably. Nothing however can get you a decent PQ from the Besiktas v Chelsea game on ITV2, it is awful (unless you are a Chelsea fan of course)

8. ROBERTT

ROBERTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Watched channel 5 tonight for the first time on the Pio. PQ was GREAT...far better than the BBC channels and SKY channels....it was like watching DVD. I realise they have paid for more transponder space and boy does it show!!...Now if only SKY would transmit at this bit-rate we would all be happy.

Looks like I will be watching a lot more of Channel 5 from now on:laugh: