1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 434 and PC DVI to HDMI

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dizzy0709, Jun 25, 2005.

1. dizzy0709

dizzy0709
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to connect a PC with ATi 9800se graphics card with DVI output to a Pioneer 434 HDMI input, I have purchased a cable (DVI-D --> HDMI).

I have enabled HDMI on plasma and set the basic resolution of 1280 x 720p and refresh rate 60Hz on PC. I have also tried other settings and recommended resolution as discussed in previous forums but have not been successfully in getting a PC to display.

Any suggestions or success stories of connecting a PC to HDMI would be greatly appreciated.

2. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +844
    Hi,

Please can you give more information on what problems you are actually experiencing, eg. no Pic at all, overscan display problems etc...

3. dizzy0709

dizzy0709
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just get a blank screen on boot-up and once PC is fully booted. I have read on Pioneer web site that a DVI-I to HDMI cable is required and not (DVI-D).

I'm using DVI-D to HDMI cable and NOT DVI-D to HDMI cable. I have not been able to located such cable does this type of cable even exist.

4. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    This doesn't have anything to do with HDCP copyright compliance?

Not a PC I know but I have my 434 hooked up to a Yamakawa through DVI and I know that the player is not compliant with HDCP.

I have no problems with the upscaled resolutions on this.

5. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +844
    Hi,

Dvi-I and Dvi-D will both work in this situation, the difference between the two is Dvi-I allows analogue and digital signals and the Dvi-d allows digital only!

Do you have your PC monitor and the plasma connected to the PC at the same time?

During boot the res signals are not supported so you will get a blank screen on the plasma.

I need more info on how you have set your plasma resolution up, are you setting the resolution on your pc monitor and then connecting up the plasma in its place?

Using a PC will not be affected by HDCP, this won't be the cause.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,596
    dizzy0709

I guess you must be using some form of extra control layer for your Graphic's Card (Powerstrip or similar) or has the Card manufacturer been forward thinking enough to support 1280x720P@60Hz?

Even if you have the Card set to Output 1280x720P@60Hz there may be other parameters of the DVI Output you need to adjust to fully sync the Graphics Card with the HDMI Input of the PlasmaTV Media Box.

You may require the ability to split (or daisy chain) the DVI Output of the Graphics Card to the PlasmaTV + a PC monitor so you can play around with the DVI timings until you get an image on the PC monitor plus the PlasmaTV.

Best regards

Joe

PS alancolledge - HDCP is 'triggered' in an HDCP enabled source device when the source reads the copy protection 'flag' on a Disc or Video Stream.

As most PC Graphics Cards don't (currently) recognise/look for these 'Flags' they don't switch on the HDCP encoding so don't 'trigger' the HDCP Receiver chip in the Display device.

7. dizzy0709

dizzy0709
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dr HDPC to answer you question first:-

Do you have your PC monitor and the plasma connected to the PC at the same time?
    No this is not possible as the graphics card has only one monitor connection port which is a DVI port.

I need more info on how you have set your plasma resolution up, are you setting the resolution on your pc monitor and then connecting up the plasma in its place?
    Yes, I set the resolution using a PC (CRT) monitor and I have to use a DVI--> VGA converter adapter as the monitor I have does not have a DVI input. Once I have applied the resolution I then disconnect cables and restart PC with DVI-->HDMI cable in place with PDP434 set to Input 3. I get some text appearing whilst PC is booting up signal is not support (this I would expect on bootup). However once Windows XP is full loaded and awaiting login I just get a black screen.

I have also used PowerStrip with recommended resolutions without any success.

Also just to answer Joe's question the graphics card I have is ATI 9800SE AIW this includes native resolutions which can be displayed on HDTV.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,596
    dizzy0709

As far as I can tell your Graphics card has a DVI-I output and your actually setting the Analogue Output resolution via the CRT not the Digital.

Can you view your XP Desktop via the S-Video Output? If yes I'd try making changes to your Display settings and switch back and forth between HDMI and S-Video on the Media Box until you find something that works on the DVI to HDMI connection.

Best regards

Joe