Pioneer 434/504 questions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by rnjones, Dec 26, 2003.

1. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Folks I am investigating buying a Plasma screen and I have narrowed it down to one of the Pioneers. I have a couple of questions for owners or those who have had a good look at these screens.

1. The Infra Red detector/eye, is it on the screen surround or on the media box? I would want to hide the media box away but of course I need the remote control to work.

2. I currently have a 36" Sony CRT, which is great but want to go bigger. I am concerned that if I buy the 434, I will always wish I had bought the 504. However viewing distances are 3.0 to 3.5m (10 to 13 feet) away and the 504 may show up too many imperfections and that would bug me. I have Sky+ and Denon 2900 as my two sources. Any thoughts.

3. Do either PDP's make any noise, fans etc?

4. In six months time will I realise I should have waited for a large LCD display?

thanks in advance,

Rog

2. Ratoban

Ratoban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    1- the eye is on the edge screen so box can b hidden
    2 - same as many people here i pondered this problem,ended up with the 504 and i am soooo glad i did its fantastic. go large if you can.
    3 - slight noise when you go very close, my wife hasn`t moaned so it must be quiet!.
    4 - Who really knows? 6 months on, this plasma (i`m sure) will still be my pride n joy and thats what matters.( i spent a year waiting b4 getting this )
    I`m No expert and may be flamed for some opinions but thats how i c it.
    Good luck.
    Rob.

3. funkin

funkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that I'm five days into owning a 434 I feel I can contribute just a little here, mainly to agree with Ratoban's post.

1. IR eye is on the bottom right of the display panel.
    2. We're about 10 feet away from the screen. The original plan was to go for a 37" TV, then I foolishly thought about a 32", but am so so happy I went for the 43". For our size of room, the 50" would have been too big for us. It may work in your room layout, but for us I don't think it would.
    3. Fan noise in the receiver box, and a light buzzing from the back of the display. I've got the box hidden in a ikea cabinet below the panel, and I cannot hear either (fan/buzzing) from the regular seating position.
    4. I'm not in a position to answer this, but I know for sure that I'm going to be happy with the 434 for some considerable time.

4. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For 3-3,5 meters watching distance you should opt for 434. Unless you watch HDTV:mad:

5. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info folks. I am now working up the energy to go out to the shops to have a good look at both screens. Feeling a bit hungover so it will have to wait until monday.

Cheers Rog

6. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the 504 have never yet heard any fan noise
    We sit about 11ft from the screen it don't look to big in fact when the 8ft screen drops down in front of it it looks tiny
    Go for the 504 you know thats what you realy want
    [email protected]