1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 433MXE, seen today and impressed

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by zAndy1, Mar 10, 2003.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    Hi all,
    Auditioned the 433MXE today as I'm looking at what to replace my noisy Toshiba with. Quiet as a mouse and I have to say the PQ suprised me. Initially the source was a DVD player via S-Video but I got them to connect a progressive one up via component. My fears about the black levels were allayed anyway, I can't see what the problem is, ok granted they're not as good as the Panny/Tosh but they certainly didn't look dark grey as I'd heard they were at best. Colours were fantastic, a definite strength of this display, as was the detail on offer which is another aspect of this display that has been applauded before.
    I also saw the Fujitsu HHA10, great picture, shame about the fan noise, heard it straight away and there's no way I could live with it.
    Just a question for MXE owners out there, are the standard feet that are supplied with the 433MXE safe to use on a glass AV rack shelf and are they sturdy enough or is it best to get the desktop stand?
    Any other 433MXE owners care to comment on their opinions of the PQ, especially with Sky via RGB -> VGA for example? Any grievances at all?

Cheers,
    Andy.

2. Phil43

Phil43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The MXE feet that come with the machine are fine. I am even using mine without the bolts as it is sitting on a center speaker that is not quite wide enough.

They could have made them more matt however as they do reflect bright images a little, however you do get used yo it.

Regards, Philip

3. DJP

DJP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    zAndy1 the feet are 300x70mm and so should distribute the weight relatively well. There are 3 square rubber pieces on the bottom of each foot to prevent the feet from slipping.

I don't think you will have any difficulties but if you are worried about the glass then perhaps a mat or cloth under the feet would distribute the weight still further.

As a somewhat biased owner I think the PQ is great - especially after I had it calibrated by Gordon. I found that the PQ was slightly better using the JS Scart to YUV box rather than the Scart to VGA box. See;

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68373

for the tests I made.

There are a number of issues with the screen which I can think of;

black level not as good as the Panny,
    not quite as deep Reds as some plasmas,
    slight solarisation on fast moving flesh tones with low b/w sources.

However, these are all very minor issues in my opinion. I'm sure that you will really enjoy your purchase. I know that I'm still glad that I bought one and have not yet seen any other display that would cause me to doubt my decision to get the 433MXE.

Derek

4. the oracle

the oracle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As regards the fan noise on the Fujitsu, i have it on good authority that a lot of the Fuji's which are coming into the country are set for the middle east, (maximum fan use), and are apparrent as soon as you switch the panel on. There is a service menu which will allow you to change this back to mormal temp/humidity conditions, and therefore combet this problem. Also, i have to say, the piture superiority of the Fuji won it for me, and i watch my movies pretty damn loud, so no worries!!:D

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    Thanks for the replies chaps, I'm pretty nervous about swapping my Toshiba (series 5 panny clone) for the Pioneer as the black levels are so good on the Tosh, the problem with the Tosh is the buzzing noise and the pioneer has been the quietest display I have seen so far. Hopefully the reduced black level performance won't irritate me too much!
    I like the fact the Pioneer is more upgradeable than the Panny/Tosh and has a DVI input, it just seems a more future proof product than the Toshiba to me.
    Arrives on Wednesday anyway so we'll see, I think I'll be stuck with it whether I like it or not, after all this will be the 3rd panel I'll have had from nexnix (previously had the Hitachi 32PD3000 and currently the Toshiba), they've been fantastic though allowing me to swap, can't recommend them highly enough!

Cheers,
    Andy.