1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pioneer 433mxe reviews

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by whistlingDogg, Oct 14, 2002.

1. whistlingDogg

whistlingDogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  2. MattB

MattB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This review is flawed. See the discussions it provoked on AVSforum when it came out.

Matt.

3. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with MattB - there are a large number of errors and unfounded comments in that article.

If you want the best value XGA plasma CURRENTLY available in the UK, get the 433. My only negative is the greyish black level on a very dark scene in a blacked out room but given the circumstances it rarely bothers me. Blacks in more evenly lit scenes look fine.

If you want to wait and take a gamble on some competitive pricing from Panasonic on the XGA 5 series, it may prove a slightly better choice for picture quality out of the box, but connections and upgradability work against it in comparison. The NEC MP4 looks a great buy but for some reason it gets little press on the forums.

As MattB says, take a look at avsforum and see how many people are still buying 433s or 503s despite the availability and competitive pricing of the new Panny.

Phil

4. Nick23

Nick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new at this, but can someone tell me what (apart from the price) is the difference between the 433MXE and the 433HDE?

5. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    The MXE is black (well charcoal) and is not available with the media box.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,462
    Hello Nick23

The Pioneer HDE PlasmaTV and MXE Plasma Display are very different animals. They both use the same glass plasma panel but in very different ways.

The HDE TV system is a two part system with the R03 Media Box being the second part of the system. The Media Box is intended to replicate the input connectivity and user features found on most high quality large screen TV's. The Media Box is designed in partnership with Sharp who have far more experience in building TV's than Pioneer.

The Media Box provides 'consumer video' friendly SCART input sockets and features such as a terrestrial TV tuner and Teletext board along with functions such as split screen picture, Teletext page memory, fixed or variable audio out, Audio input matching etc - unfortunately the down side of the Media box being that the on-board video processing limits the quality of the video signal that is passed to the glass panel (256 grey scale, 16.7 million colours).

The MXE Plasma Displays are normally supplied with the PDA-5002 video board to provide inputs for Composite, S-Video, Component video and Digital RGB (DVI) along with a standard VGA PC input (though this input can also be configured for a second Component video source).

The MXE/PDA-5002 combination has a far better video processor than the HDE (832 grey scale, 576 million colours) and in addition to a better video processor it has far better PC data handling than the HDE.

On the video side many Home Cinema customers are currently keen to ensure they have a Plasma display that is PAL and NTSC Progressive Scan compatible - the MXE is and the HDE is not (it only handles NTSC progressive Scan).

So lots of differences - including the colour of the bezel! its a case of looking at your priorities; good picture with lots of functions (HDE) or great picture and few functions (MXE).

Best regards

Joe

7. Nick23

Nick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for explaining that Joe.

8. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +519
    Joe :

So the MXE is the 'better' set to buy ?

Also, I have the panny thwd4 and its got a seriously annoying buzz from the set. Does the pioneer suffer the same problem ?

Many thanks.

9. whistlingDogg

whistlingDogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This plasma runs totally quiet. The fans very rarely come on.

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,462
    aRCaM

We had the Pioneer PDP-433MXE over at the Home Cinema show in Glasgow at the weekend and we were getting a lot of favourable comments about its performance - it was partnered with the entry level Primare DVD player and set to on its 'factory pre sets'.

Your Panasonic definitely has a 'darker' look to the picture compared to the Pioneer though the Pioneer maintains slightly more detail in the darker areas of the image.

Running the Pioneers 1024x768 display purely from video is giving the Pioneer processor a different job to the Panasonic processor - which is invariably scaling images down to the 852x480 of the PW range. Both do a good job and the great news with the Pioneer is that if you do at some point have the ability to send it a 1024x768 image it looks even better.

Pioneer do seem to have the ability to produce a silent panel - one of the reasons we have favoured the Pioneer 50" display in particular for Home Cinema installations; they do have two fans which are temperature controlled and very rarely if ever switch on.

We also had a Pioneer 503MXE hooked up to the KRELL Home Cinema system running through a set of the new Sonus Faber floor mounted speakers at the weekend and that certainly generated great sound and video.

I can organise a dem of the Pioneer display in Glasgow for you!

Best regards

Joe

11. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +519
    Joe : Many thanks.

I'll get back to you on the demo offer. I'm currently in a battle with a shop in Bradford that i wont mention who are totally unreasonable about swapping, exchanging or refunding me on my current plasma.

As soon as I know any definate details I'll let you know.

Thanks again