Pioneer 433MXE availability

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by eAvatar, Jan 24, 2003.

1. eAvatar

eAvatar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking arround at different Plasma screens, I had almost decided to buy the Panny TH-42PW5B, but am now considering the 43" Pioneer MXE as well.

My preferred way to buy would be from Richer Sounds (because of their waranties & buy back deals ), and indeed they are now offering the Panny at just £3199, which to me looks like a baragin!

However, on the RS website they only offer the HDE version of the Pioneer, which I understand also includes a tuner, which I do not need.

So, does anybody know if Richer Sounds offer, or plan to offer the MXE version, or will sell the HDE without the tuner? Or perhaps anywhere else that sells the MXE and offers good waranties?

Cheers, Steve.

2. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I asked the same thing - the HDE is always supplied with the tuner (I think it's useless without it), and RS are not planning to stock the MXE - I get the impression it's not 'mainstream' enough for them.

Like you, I originally decided on the Pio from RS, but they had no stock, and could not say when more would arrive. My local store had 1 Pio screen on customer order since mid-December.

I went for the Panny in the end, but beware - RS may try to supply you an EX model (EU sourced) as opposed to a B model (UK sourced). THey did this to me, but have agreed to swap it out.

3. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You should try NEXNIX. They offer very competitive prices, excellent service and after sales support, and when I enquired about a plasma was offered a sensible price for the warranty of approx £350.
    I thought that when I enquired with RICHER the buy-back deal did not apply to plasma.

4. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct, no buy-back from RS.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,117
    eAvatar

Any official dealer who buys direct from Pioneer UK should have no problem supplying MXE or HDE models and the MXE is no more or less 'mainstream' than the Panasonic 42" Display.

I'd also want to know a bit of detail about any 'non manufacturer' backed warranties being offered on grey imports.

The fully manufacturer backed extended warranties tend to cost around £600 - £700 on a 42/43" display though there are good third party extended warranties around for nearer £450; READ THE SMALL PRINT very carefully on the low cost warranties; all extended warranties are not created equal.

Best regards.

Joe

6. eAvatar

eAvatar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies people, especially the info about the RS buyback offer, I thought it sounded suspiciously good!

Strange that they arn't suppling the MXE when they supply the Panny without a tuner. I don't know a too much about the MXE yet, am I right in assuming you can connect to it simultaniously via component and VGA, as with the Panny?

Just visited the NexNix website, they've taken the price off the MXE and the front page now says "Call for Best Pricing"! Are they changing the prices?

Cheers, Steve.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,117
    eAvatar

One of the advantages of the Pioneer PDP-433MXE (with the PDA-5002 video card) over the Panasonic displays is an extended video input set on the Pioneer card.

You can input 1 x Composite, 1 x S-Video, 1 x RGB or YPbPr (Component video), 1 x DVI and 1 x VGA (the VGA input can also be configured as a second RGB or YPbPr input if you dont need it for a PC signal).

All of the inputs are active on the Pioneer - whereas on the Panasonics you have to choose between Composite or S-Video if you have the RCA or BNC terminal aboard; just a minor niggle that makes you have to plan out your system that bit more carefully with a Panasonic display.

Best regards

Joe

PS Maybe bread and water can only be enjoyed for so long :)

8. eAvatar

eAvatar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, soooo... it doesn't change my plans! Great, redoing that powerpoint diagram would be a absolute pain!

Just checked the empiredirect website and they've got it listed at £3497, claiming it's the lowets price in the UK, can't find any info on extended warranty's though.

Cheers, Steve.

9. Dekim

Dekim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think that if you purchase from Empire and see the same product within 7 days (and within stock) they'll give you 120% of the difference back.

Deks

10. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just for info, the 42" Panny 5 Series is now down to £3199 at Richer Sounds, and they're in stock. Extended warranty £250 for three years.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,117
    Dekim

If these boys offer to give you a rebate based on that price they may as well just ask customers to send in there name and address and send them £50.00 in the post (save on the hassle of sending out a plasma display) - there's absolutely no margin in the indicated pricing.

Best regards

Joe

12. Dekim

Dekim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Joe,

I've just cut and pasted this from the Empire-direct website

UK'S LOWEST PRICE GUARANTEE

At EmpireDirect.co.uk we will not be beaten on price or service. This is backed by our no quibble lowest price guarantee. The Empire Direct lowest price promise guarantees that if you purchase any product from us and within 7 days you find the same item advertised and in stock elsewhere at a lower price, we will REFUND YOU 120% OF THE DIFFERENCE

I will say this though, they are purely box shifters and I cannot imaging getting any support from them. I personally feel I would prefer to pay a little more and get good service from a knowledgeable and recommended supplier. ie those frequently mentioned in this forum.

Cheers

Deks

13. eAvatar

eAvatar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bah! Just checked the Nexnix website and the've put the price up to £3641 (inc VAT). I can get the Panny + 3yr warrenty from Richer Sounds for less than that! Still, I've got a couple of weeks before I order, so I can carry on looking arround.

Cheers, Steve.

14. skippy88

skippy88
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. eAvatar

eAvatar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks skippy! Sounds like a good deal. Any idea what warranties they do. They also have the Veda fixed bracket for sale at £150. Anybody have an idea how these compare to the unicol ones?

Cheers, Steve.