1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 433HDE with iSCAN ULTRA

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by steve36, Jan 18, 2003.

1. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have been considering plasma for 5 years and now want to buy as it is 'nearly as good as CRT'
    Has anyone seen the Pioneer 433HDE with the iSCAN Ultra processor ?
    I have seen several examples of the pioneer and thought it to be detailed, with better colour depth than fujitsu, but with some pixel breakup on movement.
    I am hoping that the 433HDE with an iSCAN may fulfill most requirements of SKY+ (85%+), DVD (15%).
    Thanks.

:(
    I apologise, I have just done a search and found a post - Iscan Ultra and Pioneer 433
    including a response from Soomonster that includes information including that it appears to only support lower resolutions (ie panasonic SD).

2. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    The iScan Ultra is a de-interlacer and is not resolution specific (it works with low res and hi res devices. The problem for the HDE Pioneers is that neither the 433 or 503 supports PAL progressive. In order to use the Ultra you'd need to go for an MXE or a different brand of screen.

3. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks ivojo.
    I wonder if anyone knows if there is anyone north or midlands that demos the 433MXE, preferrably with the iSCAN ?

I have seen the HDE, and although it was generally very good, I thought the picture break up on movement was a little disturbing.
    Although this could partly be caused by the quality of the sky picture.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    steve36

Finally gotten around to ordering an iScan Ultra to keep for testing and possibly sending out on approval.

Unpacked it tonight and set it up (quickly) with my PDP-433HDE (I'm away for most of the weekend so I'll have to have a play with some other displays during the week).

Wired up as follows: SKY+ SCART RGB > JS Technology RGB2YUV > iScan Ultra YPbPr input then iScan Ultra 15 pin RGB out > PDP-433HDE 15 pin RGB input.

Stuck the batteries in the remote of the Ultra and switched the whole lot on. Called up the PC input on the plasma remote and got a very nice looking 4:3 image with grey side bars.

Set the Ultra to Full Frame (FF) and the plasma to Full and used the auto adjust on the plasma to lock the plasma to the iScan and then the manual fine adjust to centre the picture slightly.

The image via the iScan looks brilliant - far better than the SKY+ RGB direct to the R03 Media Box; even a quick A-B using the QED SCART cable (why are they so stiff) of the SKY+ and switching between plugging it into the R03 and the Ultra had my wife saying she much preferred the Ultra; but could I hurry up and get the sound back on as 2000 Acres was about to start!

So there ended tonight's early evening playing with the new box. The couple of programmes that were on SKY when I was having a play were as follows:

One Fat Lady and her Wizened Man of the Country - looked superb; great camera work; great depth of field and a rock solid image. They were viewing some old artefacts that were immersed in a large vat of water and the camera shots through the water really showed the Ultra at work.

Something on CBeebies - looked like we were actually working on a MAC work station.

Simpson's - still that strange look to the reds! what do they do when they transmit it on SKY?

Footy highlights (recorded) - no smear on the grass though 'ticker tape' scores along the bottom had a rather staccato look to them (nice and clean just a bit notchy as they scrolled rather than a smooth scroll - a bit like using a budget Genlock on our old Amiga's when we used to do Video walls for sports events).

So on a first viewing the Ultra outputting RGB into the VGA on the HDE Media Box is a big hit with my SKY+ box - with two possible issues:

01. The plasma its getting 800x600 @ 50hz on the PC input and whilst its a great picture the image is not as tall as the full screen so I have a thin black bar top and bottom (I can scroll the image up and down within the display window) - not ideal in the long run if like me you watch SKY a lot of the time. I'll need to get onto Pioneer Tech support and see if there is any way to adjust the image size or not ( and hopefully not mess up the image quality).

02. I'll need to re plan the audio - we use the Plasma Speakers for general viewing and only fire up the 5:1 when watching a movie.

So on first impressions the Ultra looks to be a possible way forward with those who have the Pioneer HDE Plasma TV's and are looking to improve things - though its not an inexpensive upgrade and ultimately you are not making use of the Progressive Scan Component out on the Ultra (though at least you know the Ultra will still be useful should you decide to change your plasma at a later date).

Best regards

Joe

5. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    What sort of price are you looking at for the full-kit including any cables required for a Sky+ connection ?

Cheers, Lee

6. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Did you try the chroma filter with Sky?

Excellent I recon.

StooMonster

7. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Joe,
    Thank you for the very useful information.
    It has caused me further confusion. I had thought that you could only use it with the MXE due to the progressive scan.
    It is reassuring that you can have the convenience of the HDE model including matching speakers, so simplifying family life, whilst being able to improve the picture.
    The one thing I find odd is the resolution that is being supplied of 800x600, whereas the plasma is 1024x768. So I assume the plasma is performing some scaling up of the picture ?
    Otherwise I would have thought the black bars would have been more obtrusive than described.
    Very interesting. I will have to put the HDE back into my list of screens to view again.
    Steve

P.S (I wonder if the iSCAN could actually help the hitachi 42" with sky, mind you I don't think I could ignore the fan noise).

8. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Is this a feature of the iSCAN or a separate item ?

Cheers, Lee

9. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Feature of new iScan Ultra, not in their older products; or any competitor products (yet). Chroma-filter removes the well discussed "chroma bugs", and you can turn on/off on each input.

I use it to clear up SkyDigital, that otherwise suffers a great deal once deinterlaced by external scaler/deinterlacer.

Also works if you have a DVD player with chroma-bug.

I am really pleased with this feature.

StooMonster

10. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    You can feed iScan Ultra S-video straight out of Sky+, but I prefer to use superior RGB.

For this you will need an RGB to Component converter, as iScan only accepts Component/S-Video/Composite inputs (two of each).

iScan Ultras are £699+VAT at Ivojo and other dealers.

RGB scart to Component converters range from £50 to excellent JS Tech one at £129+VAT.

StooMonster

Edited to change iScan Ultra to correct price. It was a typo honest. It's even better value for money. ;)

11. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    (Shurley shom mishtake £699+VAT...ed. cont. p94)

12. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Sorry Ken, edited above post to correct price :eek:

Don't even know how much I paid for it. :p

StooMonster

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    Loonatic

Apologies for not getting back to you before now.

The systems I was using when testing the iScan Ultra with the Pioneer HDE was as follows:

QED AV4110 RGB only SCART cable
    JS Technology RGB2YUV converter
    Silicon Image supplied RCA to RCA component video cable
    Silicon Image iScan Ultra
    Van Damme VGA to VGA cable

Keep in mind you also need to add two additional 13 amp power sockets to your system.

Best regards

Joe