1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 433HDE Settings

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by loonatic, Jan 12, 2003.

1. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi,

I have had my 433HDE for a couple of weeks now and was just interested to know how other people had theirs setup.

I have my DVD player connected via the component input, my Sky+ box connected via s-video as it seems to produce a more natural image than when connected via RGB scart. I also have my Sony VCR connected via scart but I have yet to use it other than to test as the quality is so poor.

I am generally happy with it but feel I could do with sitting slightly further away from the screen as I can spot all the artifacts etc. I currently sit about 9ft eyeball-to-screen.

I have fiddled around with the picture settings but have yet to come to any real preferences.

So how do you guys have yours setup and what settings have you choosen for the picture settings.

I should say that my other TV is a Sony 28" WS set.

Cheers, Lee

2. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    loonatic

Setting up properly will take something like the avia disc etc which I am hoping to receive a copy soon courtesy of a fellow member.

However if you have a THX set up disc (say Phantom menace) then that should help establish some contrast, brightness and colour guidlines.

You mention artifacts? What sort are you experiencing ? I have the hde 50" watched from about the same distance (10 ft ish) and haven't noticed anything untoward.

Let me know.

regards

3. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bear in mind that the artifacts you're seeing with Sky are more likely do do with Sky's encoding and bitrate than the connections you're using.. you probably won't be able to do much more with it..

I'd suggest that people looking to watch more on-air stuff, actually DEMO on-air material as performance seems vastly different - see the following thread:

Pioneer, Panasonic and Hitachi demo.

Cheers, James

4. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for the response guys ;)

That AVIA disc seems like it's worth getting - I've seen it on the net for around £39, does this sound about right ?

I think artifacts was probably the wrong word to use - basically DVD playback is fine except from certain disc such as the X-Files (which I have all 7 sets) seems to have excessive noise in the backgound/out of foucs areas but this is most likely to be just how it is. When playing back something like the new Star Wars disc or The Mummy II then it's superb.

When viewing Sky+ the panel shows up all the flaws such as pixelation, jagged edges especially around red areas and on fast moving scenes it seems to go even more blocky or breaks up. All of these problem can also been seen on a standard set to a lesser degree it's just that higer resolution of the plasma magnifies them.

A good example of a show I find hard to watch is The Graham Norton show on C4, friday nights 10pm. When the camera pans accross the audience the picture goes all blocky and breaks up and also on his set he has a red carpet area and red curtains these appear to have very badly defined edges and again appear blocky when the camera moves.

But the thing I like least is the problem of flesh tones appearing to smear when the camera pans slowly accross a scene. It reminds me of when someone presses their face up against a sheet of glass and then moves it.

I think that this is a trait of both the Plasma screen and the poor encoding/decoding of ther MPEG2 source though I never noticed it before. I think this is something that will probably get noticed less and less over time - at least I hope so.

How have you hooked up your various bits'n'pieces The Huss ? and did it take you a while to get used to sitting so close to such a large screen ?

Cheers, Lee

5. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're interested in the AVIA disc, do a search for it on Amazon's Canadian site, amazon.ca . . . I got mine from there and it was a lot cheaper than £39 . . .

6. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    loonatic

Currently I am using the tuner connected directly to the aerial. Am consideing Freeview but try not to watch to much TV anyways,

As for the AV elements

Pio 503HDE (obviously)
    Denon AVR 3802
    Toshiba SD900 EE
    Mission FSAV2 speakers
    Compaq PC with remoye keyboard and mouse (neat)

That's about it. Did have VCR connected - for about a day - No good at all on this size screen.

I too have a problem with the creeping skin tone - thought it was a problem with the tosh - but not now:confused: Wonder if similar issues on the MXE??

With regards to the size...I have got used to it - there ain't no going back....not as far as this room is concerned anyway. Roll on the 60's..

regards

Huss

7. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Could you please tell where on the net I can find the AVIA disc?

8. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    loonatic

I got mine last week. I also sit just over 9ft. I employ 3 satellite receivers plus a terrestrial free-to ait adaptor. Definitely a lot of the artifacts that I also see have to do with the quality of the specific transmission / chasnnel watched.

I have made little difference by changing the picture settings and this is why I asked for the AVIA disc in separate note.

My set up and how it is connected to the HDE:

Denon AVR-3801 Receiver

Input 1 (RGB): Nokia 9600S digital satellite receiver + Pace MSS 500 analogue receiver with positioner + Panasonic 960 S-VHS VCR

Input 2(S-Video): Panasat digital receiver + Toshiba 852 VCR

Input 3: Component -> Pioneer DV-737 DVD player and switching to RGB = Nokia 221T digital terrestrial receiver

Speakers: Misson Freedom 757 + Mission 777 Surround

Subwoofer: REL Q201E

My other TV a Sony 32 WS

You could say my current picture setting on the HDE is something between the standard and movie preset settings. I could give you the exact settings for each parameter but I believe it varies for each product as it is indvidually tested as it leaves the factory.

Any more info from your side welcome!

9. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did, higher up this thread. Do a search for it on amazon.ca, they ship to the UK no problem.

10. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16