1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pioneer 433 vs 530

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by barneypops, Aug 15, 2005.

1. barneypops

barneypops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am i right in thinking that the only difference between the 2 pioneer models is the extra 80gb of the 530.
    Think ive finally narrowed the search down to these 2, had thought of the sony 510, seems more expensive and i like the mp3 jukebox idea.

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The 433 has a 'simplified' remote, but you have to use a 'shift' key to get at some functions.

3. OT31

OT31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I just got the DVR530 over the weekend and it is superb. The guide+ system and G-link (which I believe the 433 does not have) work really well with my Sony freeview box. I had the same dilemma 433 or 530, but I am so glad I went for the 530 just because of the extra features, I was not really bothered about the extra storage.

I think it is almost the equivalent of Sky+ Just call up the guide, find the programme and press a button. I was tempted to wait for an integrated Freeview recorder but this is it really. The programme information is updated 2-3 times a day and all the listings are accurate so far. The auto programme naming is also invaluable. I used to have a Pioneer DVR220 but only named a couple of recordings as it was pretty long winded and I ended up writing on the disc cases. It also looks really nice and takes up hardly any room. Editing is also very simple.

However, it does have some minor flaws.

- Firstly it takes 30 seconds (ish) to switch on and start recording from standby, so not ideal if your favorite programme is just starting, you may miss the first bit if you use OTR.

-I also really wish it could auto insert chapters in VR mode - it can in video mode but no VR for some reason.

- Picture quality in SP mode is okay, but I think I might get some better scart leads which I am sure will improve things for me.

- The EPG takes 24 hours to download completely (so annoying when you just want to try it out) and some freeview channels (Cbeebies/BBC3) only have programme information out to 2 days.

On the whole it was money well spent - my old recorder was really just a video with really good picture, some editing and comparatively limited disc space. This has so many more useful functions and is ideal for my personal set-up and requirements. If you have an external box freeview, cable or Sky I would say the extra would be worth it.
    I recommend the 530

4. barneypops

barneypops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info, do you know if the guideplus would work with my sony integrated freeview tv ?

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Is the 530 SmartLink compatible with the Sony freeview so you can record in s-video using the VCR-out scart or do you use the TV-out?