Pioneer 433 - smearing on some recordings?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Graham, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Graham

Graham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I've had my Pioneer 433 DVD recorder for a couple of months now and have noticed that there seems to be a large difference in the recording quality of some titles. If I record a UK programme such as Eastenders I get a superb picture (mostly using SP mode) but if I record a USA programme such as The Shield from Channel 5 or (whisper it) Miami Vice last night on M&M, I get lots of artifacts - for instance character's faces seem to be alive with 'blocking' if they even slightly move. Walls, textures etc all look horribly processed too. It kind of looks like the picture the first 100hz tv's used to make.

I've checked A-B comparisons of the freeview signal (RGB in to the recorder from a Sony freeview box) with the recording a few seconds later, and it's definitely the recorder that's adding the smearing to the freeview signal.

It also did the same with a recording set in 90 min mode (MN25?) of Sexy Beast on Channel 4. I'm just wondering if it's an issue with recording Pal material as opposed to transcoded NTSC?

Sorry for the long post, just wondered if anyone also has this problem

Cheers

2. foneman

foneman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I would try more tests, to guarantee your signal quality first - most programmes are sometimes broadcast at low quality due to lack of funds!! (or just equipment probs at their end!!)

goto a skynews live broadcast (on the hour) - this should be the best - and record onto the HDD to check - then go through your settings, to check any odd ones...

If still no joy, better get the machine checked out... :(

At least it's still under warranty!! :thumbsup:

3. Graham

Graham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Cheers foneman

It's never doing it on British-made UK Television material, only on films / US imports shown on freeview. Very strange.

4. Dark Eyes

Dark Eyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any imported programmes will have been Standards Converted, which will introduce additional artifacts into the picture.
    Different Freeview channels have varying picture quality depending on the time of day and amount of channels to be squeezed into each multiplex (BBC1 should be one of the better ones), and I suspect other factors (like weather & interference) can affect the signal strength and error rate of channel reception and decoding.

Remember that you are also 're-mpeging' an existing mpeg, so any artifacts are going to appear more visible and the process will create additional artifacts as a result of the encoding.

It all comes down to the quality of the signal (data/error rates) and the quality of the mpeg encoder on the Pioneer.

5. foneman

foneman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    hmmm, yes, it may be worth doing some checks - if you have DVD you have made, try recording it to HDD, with various data rates - this would show how bad the re-encoding gets...

I always find it is better to use a high data rate, just in case you need to re-encode.. :)

6. Graham

Graham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Hi

Well I discovered what the problem was!

In the 'inital output' (or it could be ('video/audio') there are settings to change the video ouput - it goes from 'TV (CRT)' to 'PDP' to 'Professional'. On the first two settings there's lots of blur, but when set to 'Professional' all the smearing vanishes!

I only noticed it because I was watching a DVD of The Sporanos and as Tony walks past a wall there was loads of blocking - I went into the menus, did the above setting change et voila! All the artefacts were gone. Very strange...

Cheers guys

7. foneman

foneman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    now thats surprising - I would think the PDP setting should give you a quality image... looks like they still add some 'compensation' still... its worth looking for in other cases - the trouble with a lot of these settings, though, is they use their own name for a common function!!