1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 433-MXE question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by masterofimages, Mar 21, 2003.

1. masterofimages

masterofimages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    With no input signal, the "black" screen on my MXE seems very bright. It doesn't matter which input I select, so it doesn't appear to be due to any kind of signal coming in. I know the contrast on the Pioneer screens is not as good as the Panny, but is this normal?

I have it set to Mode1, with default brightness and contrast, and one notch below MEDIUM colour temp. I've tried changing the mode, brightness and contrast, but it makes no difference. :confused:

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Well I've seen a lot of stuff back and forth on the quality of the pictures on plasma screens and how that varies with the input signal, but never a comment on the picture quality without a signal;) A first I think.

Can't say I've noticed anything like that on mine. Sure with an input selected and no input signal the screen is obviously active, as opposed to when the power is off. I doubt it is relevant to performance with an input signal. I wouldn't recommend adjusting parameters for a blank screen, although it could open up a whole new business opportunity for Gordon's calibration service:) As you say it makes no difference to a blank screen and will only mess up any settings you have for when you are watching something.

Do you have any problems with the picture?

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    The Pioneers are not black like Panny's or Fuji's that use Panny glass. They do look grey....Turn down your contrast as it's too high at standard out the box setting. Use AVIA for setting blacklevel for video content (set your DVD to 0ire for black level if you can and then use that setting for PAL stuff as well)

Gordon

4. masterofimages

masterofimages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the replies. I am aware that you can't adjust anything when there is no input signal, but I was just pointing out that even with no signal the black level was very "grey". It's not noticeable in normal use, as the panel is bright enough to compensate, only in a dark room. I guess it's better to have some ambient "mood" lighting on when watching... :smoke:

I have the video essentials disk, which I will use for calibration. I guess I'll just have to get used to this one little minor drawback with the screen :(

Is the Panny (or any other panel for that matter) much better in this regard? I've seen them side-by-side and I couldn't really see any difference, but then again that WAS in a well-lit store :rolleyes:

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    The ideal solution is what Joe Kane talks about in VE. It's a thing called a bias light. Ideally sticking out 6500K as close to the spectral light output of daylight. There are manufacturers of these things and I hope to be distributing a range very soon.......

You'd stick it behind plasma to light wall around it. Thsi stops your iris from opeing and closing violently between bright and dark scenes. Stops fatigue and makes picture look better....gotta love that!

Gordon

6. ariharry

ariharry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a 503MXE that is scheduled to go back (charcoal unit sent instead of a silver one).

The black levels are really bugging me at the moment. I have a small window of opportunity to replace my 503MXE with a Panny 50 inch.

I finally got to see the panny against the pioneer and the panny certainly has black levels that are comparable to conventional CRT's.

Funny thing is, the better black levels do not instantly translate to a better image (which I was expecting). I saw a trailer of Daredevil that had many night-time scenes, and whilst the Panny had true blacks, it masked much of the finer detail that was clearly present on the Pioneer.

So, I think it's purely down to personal preference. Many people crank-up the brightness on conventional CRT's, that results in grey-blacks anyway. Not sure what's 'technically' correct, but I suppose having superior blacks is the ultimate goal from an engineering perspective.

BTW, I also noticed the poor rendition of black when no signal was present, but it's hardly noticeable when feeding good quality signals to the PDP.

7. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    That's because they are insane. Some nutters do this on computer monitors too.

IMO black should be black, not charcoal.

StooMonster

8. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With good reason.

When I'm trying to do anything involving DTP or photo manipulation I set the colour temperature to 9300, but for video it goes back to 6500, so that I have some idea of what it will look like on a properly calibrated PJ. And with the correct settings black is still black at 9300. It's just that white looks a lot more well, white:devil: