1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 433 MXE and PC, DVI or VGA?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by stricko, Dec 20, 2004.

1. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry if this is a bit OT, but I'm upgrading my PC screen (to a 19" TFT) and I'm also taking the opportunity to re-jig the connections between the PC and my Home Cinema set-up, which has a Pioneer 433 at the heart of it.

I'm not a great fan of plugging cables in and out all of the time, and I don't want to buy any switch boxes or splitters if I can help it. My PC graphics card outputs VGA, DVi and S-Video. My current set up is VGA to an old CRT monitor, and S-Video to the Plasma for displaying photos, MPEGS etc. The quality to the plasma is not good.

The new monitor will take either DVI or VGA, and I need to take a look to see if there is any noticeable quality difference between the two, before I take this any further. Whichever output I use to the monitor, I'll use the other to drive the plasma.

Anyone else tried this, and is there an appreciable difference in quality. With all of the gear positioned as it is at the moment, it will be difficult to do any sort of back to back test without buying 5-10 m VGA and DVI cables!!!

To complicate things further, I have nothing driving the plasma via DVI at the moment (although a DVD player upgrade is always possible....) but I have my Sky+ via a JSTech box into the VGA port!!!!

So I can either;

Connect the PC to the plasma by DVI, but have a sub-optimal VGA connection to my shiny new PC monitor

Connect the monitor by DVI, and have some sort of VGA switch for the plasma

Use a DVI splitter, but how do I manage different resolutions, aspect ratios between the monitor and the plasma?

Choices, choices......

Your expert thoughts on this conumdrum are welcome as always!!!

PS supplementary questions, based on comments on the HCPC/HTPC/HDTV forums. I'm trying to minimise the number of scaling and analog/digital conversion processes. My poorly informed guess is that the "cleanest" path (from PC to plasma) is PC output on DVI at the "native" resolution of the plasma. Is this correct? And what exactly is the "native" of a 433 MXE.

Merry Christmas!!!

2. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'd take VGA to the Plasma and DVI to the Monitor. The quality is not that different between VGA and DVI when it comes to Plasma in my experience. I'm using a Pio 50MXE-1.

3. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the input.

I connected the new monitor up via DVI last night, and it looks wonderful. I played a bit of Star Wars through it to check it out and nearly ended up watching the whole thing. It would be a shame to reduce that quality, so VGA to the plasma looks like it may be the way to go.

Anyone know if there is a VGA switch box out there with IR remote control cabability?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You can get anything at a price. Have a look at Extron. Personally, for convenience I would have gone VGA to the monitor and DVI to the plasma, very likely your new monitor is gorgeous on VGA or DVI. My suggestion has nothing to do with quality of picture, merely quality of life and not spending £500 on a remote controlled VGA switch that you don't need.

5. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Trust me, I wasn't going to spend £500 on any sort of switch. Assuming that I end up going DVD (or satellite or HD or something else) via DVI at some point in the future, I will have to deal with this eventually. By that stage, the market will have had to catch up (I hope), and prices will be lower.

At the moment, I've decided to go via VGA to the plasma with a manual switch (nearer £10 than £500), as this gives me more flexibility with laptops etc at the PC end. I've now got to try and sort out sound issues around the PC, to see if I can get a digital output to the HC receiver as well as analog six channel to the speaker set up in the room where the PC is.

Never ending.....

Thanks for the input!