1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 43" plasma or Panasonic 42" plasma?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by css_uk, Feb 13, 2003.

1. css_uk

css_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't decide which one to get out of these two.

Pioneer PDP433HDE - Plasma TV & tuner included

Features:
    Screen & Tuner Supplied
    43 16:9 Plasma TV
    Number of Pixels - 1024 (Hor) x 768 (Ver)
    Stereo, Dual Sound NICAM
    Auto Channel Preset, Labbeling and Sort
    Teletext
    On Screen Display
    3x SCART
    Auto Power off, Energy Saveing mode
    Front AV, S-Video Input
    Monitor Out
    Power Management (for PC use)

£4069.85

OR

Panasonic TH42PW5B - Plasma TV

Features:
    Silver
    106cmV Panel 16:9
    16.77 million colours
    Anti Reflection Screen Coating
    2 x 8W audio out
    Brightness 650, Contrast Ratio 3000:1
    Pal, Secam, NTSC Pal 60
    S-Video in, RCA Video/Audio in, RGB (PC) in, RGB (PC) Audio in, RCA RGB Audio in
    External Speakers Terminal, Control
    Remote Control

£3349.85

Tuner costs an additional £395 for the Panasonic

Has anyone got either of these plasma screens? which one out of these two, or any others in this price range would you recommend me to get?

thanks

2. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My advice,

Demo them both, get the one you like the best and go home happy. It is not an exact science.

I would suggest you demo for the 433MXE instead of the 433HDE. It is cheaper and supports Progressive Scan.

Connections wise, I wouldn't bother paying 400 quid for a tuner. If you have Sky or cable there are better connection options. See the sticky at the top of this forum.

Good luck.

James

3. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, just noticed, where has the connections sticky gone?

:thumbsdow

4. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I'd be surprised if you can find a panasonic tuner in any case. BTW the panasonic comes with BNC connectors as standard, which are probably better than RCA, can't fall off during the movie!! Media boxes are generally to be avoided unless you must have the convenience of scart. Having said that, the pioneer one is pretty good. Panasonic's tuner gives you a worse picture, no doubt about it. Give it a miss and read that sticky. If you've no sky, get a freeview box.

6. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    My advice too...
    Really the best is to see them next to each other with same material and set up and make up your own mind. For me, the Pioneer had a slight edge and I went for it! It is important to take note of what quality type of signal is driving the display. I believe Pio will show more of a lower quality input (C in C out) and equally enhance a high quality feed.

Futhermore, all Pio tuners since December 2002 are producied stricly by Pio without Sharp subcontracting. The original and latest media tuner design is by far superior to the Panasonic.
    The Panasonic tuner makes no justice to thier screen. I work for a semiconductor company and had the chance to discuss it with both Panasonic and Pioneer design engineers.

The MXE is indeed excellent too and has the PAL Prog feature. However the immediate connectivity and flexibility of the HDE make it an extremely good solution.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    That'd be pal prog. via DVI. Pio's tech department weren't too sure whether it would accpt a pal prog. via component. Anyone tried it? Many are gasping to know!

8. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    The MXE does accept Pal PS via component and via VGA - I haven't tried DVI.

9. smcgrego

smcgrego
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got the Pio 433HDE and a Tosh 510e DVD that can output NTSC Progressive. I thought is picture was brighter and sharper than the Panny. I've been pretty impressed with the tuner/media box too. Only niggle is a single component input.

Not sure about the PAL Progressive, but surprisingly the 433 display is better when fed with an interlaced picture from my Tosh DVD and processed with the Pure Cinema option enabled, than when using NTSC progressive!!!

10. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I second the previous comment above!!

I know many of you will argue but the interlace picture in PAL and NTSC with the 433 HDE is very very very good. In PS NTSC mode the screen processing does improve poorer DVD film transfers in my opinion. I am using the Pio 757Ai DVD player that may help things further. Pioneer engineers tell me that it has been "tailored" for plasma and it is also noted in the owner's manual.

By the way if you are looking for another component input, it may be worth checking your A/V. Some have two component inputs that you can switch like with my Denon..

11. smcgrego

smcgrego
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Costas

Just posted on another thread about AV switching throught the Amp. I use a Yamaha 630RDS and tested switching with precious metal component cables. The Amp introduced a slight degradation. Not enormous, but having spent so much on the screen, I didn't want to compromise. As a result I've gone back to a direct connection and will evaluate other switching options.

12. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Thanks smcgrego. Actually I have not tried the Denon with the component switch but I mentioned it as an alternative option that might help. I am not surprised that you see some small signal degradation with the process involved through the amp.

13. DJP

DJP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi css_uk, as mentioned by others, I'd strongly recommend that you try before you buy. I changed my opinion after spending some time viewing the Pioneer and Panasonic screens and am very pleased with my Pio 433MXE.

You may find this thread of use;

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64007

This deals with the 433MXE rather than the HDE which you were interested in. However, other threads indicate that the MXE has better picture quality than the HDE version. If you are using Sky, Freeview or a cable box I'm not sure if you really need the tuner option - only you can decide this.

The 433MXE has very good interconnectivity when combined with the PDA5002 card which is normally included in the price. You'll get VGA, S-Video, component video, compsite video and DVI all available.

At the end of the day only you can decide which display you prefer. Many of the results are subjective and different people prefer different set-ups.

Costas and smcgreggo - I've tried using the Denon 3801 for switching component and I must admit that I could not notice any degradation in signal quality when switching through the Amp.

When I get time I intend to post some results of some tests I did last weekend comparing feeding Sky into the S-Video, VGA (via JS box) and Component (via JS box) inputs. I'll do the same tests when my 3803 arrives - if Leading Edge Concepts ever get around to sending me one (don't believe the leadtimes you see on their web site... but that's another story)

Bye for now

Derek

14. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Thanks DJP. I also have the AVR-3801... I will try the component input and check the picture too!

15. css_uk

css_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the help everyone.
    i will be going to look at some demos at a few shops

16. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    No one seemed to contribute anything of substance to it despite indicating they would do so.

17. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But surely the point of this sticky was to be a point of reference to new plasma owners rather than be something we would all be contributing to? What contributions were required once the discussion had run its course?
    :(

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Exactly so, Lynx. There's one just like it on the HCPC forum, gets updated just about once a month, as new stuff appears. Saves the same old questions. Is it a problem to leave it there?

19. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,933
    css_uk

All of the screens you are considering can produce excellent images when viewing animated movies on DVD - the favourite material when showing off a display.

Ensure you see a wide range of video types with each display and if possible look at how each screen handles RGB from a SKY (or other) Digibox.

The Pioneer PDP-433HDE PlasmaTV gives you convenience features not found on the Pioneer PDP-433MXE but adds a layer of 'grain' that's not there on the MXE.

Both of these screens have a 1024x768 resolution display so if PC use is something your planning on they both look better than the 852 x 480 of the Panasonic display with a PC.

The Panasonic TH-42PW5B (Silver) or TH-42PWD5BX (Charcoal) are both great with video and OK with PC.

Again the Panasonic display with the add on tuner option adds in connectivity convenience (as long as you dont want to use a PC with your system) but looses out a little to direct connection to the display.

If you go for either of the Plasma Displays 433MXE, PW5B or PWD5BX then remember to budget for cables and possibly even an RGB converter to get best connectivity with your DVD, Set top and other video sources - allow around £200 (its also worth noting that the pioneer MXE has more video input options than the either of the Panasonic models).

Another 'option' to consider (budget allowing) is to use an external video scaler/processor to optimise the Video signal from your DVD, Set top or games console these devises will deinterlace all of your signals and can make a big difference with SKY (though they do cost around £900 for a good one).

You can add in a scaler at any time but its worth thinking through your connectivity options with one in the system from the outset - it may save you money in the long run.

Happy shopping.

Joe

20. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Joe,

I know the subject is covered on a number of threads but I would very much appreciate your advice on the use of video processor/scaler with the Pio PDP-433HDE. I am quite clear how it works with the MXE version but rather confused on the possibilities with the HDE. Can it really be put in place with good results? How should it be connected with the tuner and other devices I have? I could provide my setup details if this would help with your answer. Thank in advance..

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The HDE media box does some strange things with a VGA signal from a PC, so I imagine it won't know the difference witha scaler. Though the resolution is 1024x768, it asks for 1280x769 from my Radeon. That makes the picture the right shape. Then it scales it to 1024x768. I think that might defeat the object of having a scaler with it. If you want to use one, buy the MXE. You can then use the DVI input too. That scaling issue might account for the slight graininess. Still, it's about 1000 times better than the Panasonic box.