Pioneer 43? / Panny HD Quandry

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by 1ofaKind, Sep 28, 2004.

1. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All,

I am trying to work out which of these 2 options is going to give me the best long term future and picture quality. I have seen both displays (SD Panny) and Pioneer and they both seem good displays. However with potential HD programming upcoming from Sky and other new DVD technologies I am wondering whats the best way to go (I know you lot haven’t got a crystal ball ;) ).

I don’t know about other people if I outlay this cash I expect it to last a fair few years (my old widescreen TV is about 8-9 years old now). I am a bit of a technoholic but not so much as smoking £50 notes. :D

I will be using the plasma for DVD (primarily region 1 discs I have very few Region 2)/Consoles and some limited PC (just for that wow factor). TV is used maybe 25-30% of the time.

My options as I see it (I already have a set a Denon 3802 and 7.1 Kef Eggs (the speakers I wish to keep)). I also know I will need to shell out a bit on cables.

Setup 1

Pioneer 434HDE/435 - £3800
    Denon 3910 DVD Player - £800

This option seems to be the simplest to deal with as it is in effect a TV. I can connect the majority of the devices into the media box. My amp can be used to run dvd & consoles (audio) and I won’t need (potentially any video switching). My question is will I be able to use the HDMI input with the Denon 3910 and will I be able to upscale the image or does the upscaling require a Pioneer 868 and the TV to work?

Setup 2

Panny 42HD (6 series or 7) - £3800
    Component / Svideo/Composite 2 slot board.
    Scart Board or would I be advised to get the DVI board to connect
    the 3910 up to the plasma?

Panasonic DMR-E95 or Sony RDR-HX1000 £700ish

This would be primarily for the tuner and its recording abilities. The house currently has sky+ and standard sky box but these are located elsewhere and cannot be moved (don’t ask :laugh: ). The room where the plasma will be placed has RF feed from both units (boosted) which on a normal CRT provides a pretty damn good picture. Therefore as far as I can see a HD / DVD recorder seems a good option especially as the panasonic has progressive outputs (NTSC/PAL) which if I understand means it will output the TV picture in progressive mode? I know the picture quality will be worse than say a digi box or Sky box (either converted to VGA) or using a scaler but the price difference and benefits a DVD Recorder brings seem to outway the reduction in picture quality?

Amplifier Denon 3805 £800

This would replace my 3802 which I can use elsewhere. Required for video switching, up conversion and audio delay.

Denon 3910 - £800

Seems to have all the connections functionality and the benefit of connecting to the amp using the link cable.

Other devices to connect.

Gamecube - composite into the amp
    PS2 - composite into the amp.
    Chipped Xbox - component into the amp once I get the hi-def pack.
    An old laserdisc & video record (scart) – Scart to composite then into the amp?
    PC/Laptop - VGA or DVI

My question is the Panny option is going to cost a lot more than the Pioneer option as it’s a display and not a TV which I appreciate. The question is am I getting that much better quality and ability over what is ‘a big tv’.

Sorry for the long post. :devil:

2. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Anyone?

:hiya:

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi,

Have you considered the Pioneer 43MXE1 which is the same resolution as the 435XDE and Panasonic 42PHD6/7? This can be had for around £2800 and is more flexible than the HDE/XDE models. You might also want to consider the upcoming Nec 42XM3S or the outgoing 42XM2S which can be had for a very cheap £2355 at the moment.

Steve