Pioneer 43 MXE-1 Picture quality?

anderson64

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am considering this panel as well as the PW/PHD6s', but as yet I have not been able to find a dealer with one on demonstration. I have however seen the 434HDE on a number of occasions including today with the 50" panel running an Hi Def, HDMI feed from Euro 1080. The problem I find with this panel is that not only does it seem a little "dull" when compared with the Panny but also that the picture always has a lot of noise and graininess, especially noticeable I find in the background of a scene. I have demo'd using the HDMI connection and although better it still was there.

Is this the same with the MXE-1 or are there more adjustments/better processing? Or is it just me!?

I find the same with the HDE panels, the MXE does have better processing but of course is not HDCP compliant, unless you can get the Aurora card, which is 'coming soon', forgive my slight cynicism.

anderson, that seems to be my perception of the 434 panel too.

Compared with an old NEC I saw, the panel was much less vibrant and also looked quite grainy (when I viewed it, it was fed The Matrix via HDMI on a pioneer 868 player).

Would be useful to get the opinions of those that have seen both. I'm particularly interested to know whether or not the colour vibrancy issue is just one of calibration rather than the panel itself.

Not trying to start a flame war. I'm looking to buy an MXE-1, but I can't demo it first..

MAW, so what would you get? :confused:

It seems to come down to PW7 (PHD7?), MXE1 or 435 models (don't know the difference with all the versions - I use sky+ so do not need or want a freeview box).

Hello,

I'm very surprised that you think the 434 isn't "vibrant". Whatever its faults, I've never thought that you could accuse it of that. As usual, it's possible that it just wasn't set up very well.

However, as regards the graininess, I think that out-of-the-box this is much worse than when there are a few hundred hours on it. If you'd told me that before I bought one, I wouldn't have believed you, but I really think it improves over time. I saw the effect twice, as I had a panel replaced. First time I thought I was imagining it, but second time I was more convinced.

Has anybody else noticed the reduction in graininess over time?

When it came to NECs, I never saw one that really impressed me. They always seemed to suffer from posterization, especially in scenes with movement. Still, to each his own!

Si

Other than the usual mpeg noise there is no grain on the MXE1, it's very much better than the current HDE in this respect... I wouldn't ever describe an MXE1 as 'dull', lacking in contrast in a dark room yes, but never 'dull'... Comes down to budget in the end, at 2K then the SD Panasonic is a no brainer, but personally I wouldn't be happy with the flicker, banding (especially at 50Hz) and the resolution, but it's still a great plasma... At 3K it's between the HD Panasonic and the MXE1 and the for me it was the silver bezel (wife), full IR discrete codes and FRC options, although this is a tough call..! I would always suggest viewing the Pioneer in a dark room to see if you can live with the blacks, if you can and you're not worried about HDCP on the DVI input then go for it...

Interesting views, the graininess/noise point is a big issue with me and it is useful to hear that it seems to disappear with use. However, it is a bit risky to spend this amount of money and hope for an improvement. What it needs is somewhere with a well used demo model that is set up correctly.

Anyone know of a dealer with an MXE-1 on demo within easy reach of Dorset?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom