Pioneer 42MXE or Panasonic 42PHD8?

Peter Baker

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I originally thought I would just buy a Pioneer 436XDE, as the best in class, but having trwled this forum a bit I'm now convinced that the panel route is the better both for PQ and for futureproofing.
I'm also probably going for a scaler (Lumagen HDQ looks like the one).
The question is, which panel. Everyone talks about the Panny as the best, but I think I might benefit from the extra brightness of the Pioneer. My room is large 36' x 25', and one wall (at right angle to the TV) is Glass with blinds, so not at all light controlled. I also watch tv with the lights on typically, so quite high ambient light. This is what prompted me to go with the Infocus PJ.
Is the PQ of the panny much better than the pioneer?
The other consideration is that I don't really like the grey industrial bezel on the pioneer, preferring the silver bezel option on the panasonic.
Sources are Telewest TVDrive (HD soon) and Arcam DV27 DVD.
Has anyone compared the two panels?
Also, am I right in seeing the Lumagen as a really worthwhile addition, or could I just get away with the panel, and save loads of dosh?My original budget of c£2250 has virtually doubled when installation, cables etc are included.

Hi Pete,

With a room that size you should be looking at a 50" panel!!!

Each panel has its pro's and con's.

Pio can do native res at both 50 & 60hz over DVi so you will get no frc judder and will look great when fed with a scaler. Downside is the blacks aren't that good although with lots of ambient light you should be ok.

Panny has great blacks, great PQ but can't do native res @50hz over DVi.

I think if you are getting the scaler then you can get around the lack of NR@50Hz on the panny by feeding it 720p @ 50hz.

Best idea is to get a demo of the two and then contact a dealer.

Where are you based?

Steve

Thanks Steve
Well, if I want a big picture I wheel out the PJ! 42" seems big enough for TV watching to me (although I'll probably change my mind in a few months)
Yes, I was advised that the Pioneer has the advantage that it can do native resolution at 50 & 60 hz, although I'm not sure I fully understand the implications.
It is the blacks that worry me a little, plus the fact that the panny seems so much more popular. Of course the Pioneer is a new panel (NEC?) so it may be that few people have seen/bought it yet. Anyone out there with experience of it?
I'm based in London, but haven't found anywhere that stocks either panel yet.
Still don't like the grey bezel look.

Pete,

I think with your room dimension a 42" will look a bit too small. I understand that you have the PJ for big screen viewing but I think you will regret not buying a 50". Have a look at one and see what you think.

The implication of having native res at both 50&60hz is that there will be no frame rate conversion when watching PAL material. It affects moving images i.e like football or say the ticker-tape on sky news. Some people don't notice it too much but only by having a demo will you be sure for yourself.

I own a 43MXE1 which is the old model. I must admit the blacks aren't great but I have not had it professionally calibrated and am not using a scaler. If I did pair it with a scaler I am sure it would look awesome. I do have an upscaling DVD player that I use to get 1:1 pixel mapping at 50hz and the picture quality is fantastic.

To have a look at the PHD8 check out AV-Sales. They have a forum special offer on here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340153

Am not sure who has the new MXE for demo. Maybe drop MAW a pm or email to see if he knows. You also have Liam@Progressive-av.

Steve

Peter Baker said:
Anyone out there with experience of it?
I'm based in London, but haven't found anywhere that stocks either panel yet.
Still don't like the grey bezel look.

I have both a 42MXE10 and 50MXE11 - the MXE11 driven with a Crystalio and the MXE10 direct. If you want to see both in action then feel free to drop me a PM (I live near Reading). I also have a couple of Sky HD boxes being delivered next week, so you'll be able to see both with that too. Both my rooms are non-dedicated family rooms i.e. usually have lots of light. I've had a couple of Panasonic panels before, and I'm not at all upset with my current panels - would buy them again if I was buying tomorrow. 50Hz native via DVI is the deal-maker for me.

cj Thanks for the offer, I may well be in touch. ceenhad, silver is only available on the outgoing 43" model, but maybe that's what I should go for?, as the new one is really an NEC

Pete,

I would go for the newer model if you want a MXE due to the lack of HDCP in the previous model. I am too sure if the new MXE uses any NEC technology. I think when Pioneer bought NEC they rebadged the NEC model.

Steve

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom