Pioneer 4270XD question

pyschometal

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I ahve had my pioneer for a few months now, I have recently thought about this question and thought this was the best place to ask it.

The screen is located in front of a window back facing out, See Pics....
CabinetClosed2.jpg

ClosedCabinet.jpg

Now with all the recent susnshine we have been having in the U.K, the rear of the screen is being hit with about 8 hours of direct sun light everyday.
Would it be adviseable to move it to a none direct light contact area of is it safe where it is?

Many Thanks.

pyschometal

Here's a thought - dig out the owner's manual (or view the digital one online) and read the damn thing!
There are references to direct sunlight/heat that might be worth reading and see if it gives you the answer you seek.

No wonder your screen name is what it is!

:devil:

Thank you for such a thoughtful and inteligent answer. I never really thought about reading the instructions manual, let alone removing it from the plastic sleeve it comes in! that might lower the value of the manual.
Wow! and get this, heven forbid that I should post on a forum and maybe get an answer from a proffesional or an installer saying that it will harm the screen or maybe telling me, that the manufactors are just covering their own back and it won't cause any harm.

If you only have a stupid answer to reply with, then I would appreciate it is you would just keep quiet.

As for the screen name, I never really put that much thought it to it, I just thought it sounded fun at the time, as for yours! at least I thought of a screen name, instead of just pressing my elbow into a keyboard and seeing what came up!

Works both ways, doesn't it!

Any useful answers are very much appreciated.

pyschometal

I notice there is a radiator directly behind the tv too, maybe that`s not so good.

The sunlight thing is more for the front of the screen I think, based on what the manual says about it. But getting the telly away from that radiator would be good (unless you could turn that radiator off/down during the winter and not miss it?). To be honest though the plasma will chuck out a fair amount of heat and it looks like a fairly small room, maybe you won't need the radiator. :thumbsup: :rotfl:

Seriously though, if you were able to move it down the other end of the room or on one of the side walls it would be less visable from the street which is perhaps no bad thing?

If you have to leave the tv where it is you could stand a piece of stiff card behind and a couple of inches away from the back of the screen,
Make the card a few inches smaller all round than the screen and cover the window facing side with kitchen foil (shiny side out to reflect the suns heat away) With a bit of care you could make a neat job of this and it would be functional, you could also use a cheap mirror to do the same job.

Thank you for such a thoughtful and inteligent answer. I never really thought about reading the instructions manual, let alone removing it from the plastic sleeve it comes in! that might lower the value of the manual.
Wow! and get this, heven forbid that I should post on a forum and maybe get an answer from a proffesional or an installer saying that it will harm the screen or maybe telling me, that the manufactors are just covering their own back and it won't cause any harm.

If you only have a stupid answer to reply with, then I would appreciate it is you would just keep quiet.

As for the screen name, I never really put that much thought it to it, I just thought it sounded fun at the time, as for yours! at least I thought of a screen name, instead of just pressing my elbow into a keyboard and seeing what came up!

Works both ways, doesn't it!

You need to lighten up and realise the use of the devil smilie was there for a reason, not 'cause I pressed my elbow onto the keyboard!
Now, why would you think an installer or retailer know more than the manufacturers do about their products used in direct sunlight?
Surely the instructions given in the manual have come about to help you avoid any problems by them testing their products during the R&D phase to see what they can cope with before signing off on them and putting them into production?
So, whilst I was being a tad facetious, there was an offer to self help, since most people forget about the owners manual once they have the product.

owners manual said:
•Avoid direct sunlight. Maintain adequate ventilation.

Caution
•If you do not leave sufficient space above the plasma television, it
will not receive enough ventilation and will not operate properly.

Note
•Allow enough space around the upper and back parts when
installing to ensure adequate ventilation of the rear of the unit.

Caution
Operating Environment
Operating environment temperature and humidity: +0 oC to +40 oC;
less than 85% RH (cooling vents not blocked). Do not install this unit
in a poorly ventilated area, or in locations exposed to high humidity or
direct sunlight (or strong artificial light).

Does that not help?

So PJSKEL it seems that you were right and the manual is pretty conclusive.

Have to agree however your initial tone was never likely to get a big thumbs up and thanks from phsycometal.

These forum attract all type of folks - can't we all just get along?

We are all just (about) getting along. :D
What some people need to do, is retain their sense of humour rather than checking it out at log-in.

Forums, least of all this one, should never be envisaged as a battleground or an area of oneupmanship - we're all here to learn and pass on info/tips/help, but equally that doesn't mean we should ask the first question that comes into our head, without doing a little bit of research or self help.

If I was being anything other than a bit facetious, then I'd have said.....:rtfm:

Cheers! :beer:

I read recently that putting a Pioneer Plasma, particularly generation 7, in direct sunlight for 8 hours a day is likely to cause greyish blacks, and 'dirty screen'. Oh hold on you get that out the box with a Pioneer Plamsa! :rotfl:

anyway, well said pj, it doesnt take much to do a 'little' reserach does it, we all have to.....................

Thanks for the replies,and sorry to pjskel, I was not trying to stir things, I was just looking for a reason not to move my living room around.

The room looks very small from the pictures, but it is very long and what you can't see in the photo's is about another 2 meters of wall at either side of the curtains. The problem I have is that my sofa's are in a perfect seating arangement to view the screen, and moving it anywhere else means moving the sofa's. The radiatior behind the screen is switched off as there are two more radiators in the room, but your right, the screen does put out a lot of heat.

Ah well, time to start moving things around. Might be the excuse I have been looking for to buy that wall bracket!

pyschometal

Well, if the radiator is off all year round, then all you'd need is a set of blinds to close over if the sun shines in through that window behind the TV. if not, or not until later in the evening, then everything is fine as you have it.

interesting, My screen is also in a similar position to yours although, but mine is a bit wider.

My radiator is permanently off. It's in a through lounge so the other one is only on. As for the windows , I have put venetian blinds instead of curtains. The blinds are set at an angle so that light comes in, but never directly on the tv set. Luckily we only get sunlight at the front of out house during the morning hours - till mid-day.

So, matching ventians blinds may be an idead for you.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom