Pioneer 4270xd problems

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Bridger, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Bridger

Bridger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had my Pioneer 4270xd delivered today and have got the following problems.

1. I have tried watching football via cable and satellite (not HD) and the picture is totally unwatchable. As the camera pans the picture blurs completely and I don't mean a slight blurring. Nobody could stand to watch such a picture for long. Is there any solution.

2. I am unable to tune any analogue channels in. Any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong. Digital channels are tuned in and working.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    How is the sky box connected?

3. Bridger

Bridger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's not Sky.

My NTL cable and Humax5400 satellite receiver are both connected using the RGB scart ports (576i).

Panning pictures are equally poor on both.

4. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    This is very strange as plasmas have a great reputation for dealing with panning and fast moving objects. Maybe some of the pio owners can pitch in. It could be a settings issue.

5. geese

geese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I had the same issue but not as bad as yours though. I got rid of it by turning Purecinema off.

6. av_101

av_101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    1. you need to turn all the so called enhancing features off..

2. this model has two tuners, one digital and one anologue, they both have
    an input, if you connect your aerial to the 'digital in' then connect the 'digital out' to the 'analogue in' you should be able to tune it in

7. Bridger

Bridger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replies.

I didn't realise that you would have to loop through from the digital to the analogue receiver. I thought there would have been internal loop through. I should have read the manual more carefully.

I have now tried to switch all the picture enhancements off

Pure cinema: Off
    CTI: Off
    Intelligent Colour: Off
    DNR: Off
    MPEGNR: Off
    BNR: Off
    Dynamic Contrast: Off
    Black Level: Off
    ACL: Off
    Intelligent DRE: Off

This has produced a minor improvement with the blurring problem but it is still very much there.

8. geese

geese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Hmm thats weird. Is it really that bad? Im watching analog now and theres zero bluring. It must be something else doing this. How is dvd and gaming?

9. Thucydides

Thucydides
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this a common fault with this model - was going to buy it shortly but watch a fair bit of sport and the blur would put me off.

10. Bridger

Bridger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've yet to get an RF cable to link to the analogue tuner. I will try that tomorrow.

To give you some idea of how bad the blurring is:

When I was watching football, advertising hoardings at the edge of the pitch were carrying adverts for Barclays (white writing on a blue background). As the camera panned the hoardings turned almost completely white with just a small blue outline. On stopping the writing became legible again after a slight delay. The crowd blurred out on panning only to reappear as the panning ceased.

I have now watched some cricket, rugby and football. It was present on all these sports.

I am currently watching a Star Wars film and that looks quite impressive, even in SD.

I have no interest in using the TV to watch DVD's or for gaming. However, without the ability to watch sport via cable or satellite the set appears to be a total waste of money. Am I the only person that is suffering this problem to this extent.

Sport on my 25+ years old CRT television looks great compared to the Pioneer.

11. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Common fault?? methinks not as this is the first time it has been mentioned on here.

I find it strange that you focus on this after having a Panny and living with their various "features"

12. Thucydides

Thucydides
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure what's "strange" about it. I'm returning the Panasonic for a refund as it has a clear problem. Was about to buy this model but I don't want to buy another television that has a problem, especially one showing sports so asked if it was a common fault. Simple really.

13. Bumtious

Bumtious
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,650
    Guys

This is not a fault.

Panning on a plasma, lcd with "live" sport is not as smooth as a crt on ANY make but on the Pio is certainly watchable.

The Pio is one of the best there is.

Just check pure cinema is off and more importantly under the option menu the drive mode is set to 100hz. It is set to 75hz by default.
    You need to do this for each input inc Freeview.

14. Bridger

Bridger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As an experiment I have now tried to watch Star Trek: The Motion Picture on BBC from the following sources

Analogue via RF connection
    Digital Freeview via RF connection
    Satellite Astra 28.2E through to RGB connection
    Satellite Astra 28.2E then via RF to a tuned analogue channel
    NTL Cable through to RGB connection

All the pictures are similarly flawed.

Picture smear / distortion/ blurring during movement, picture noise, ghosting and fizzing round the edges of people and clothes, shimmering

I have tried every combination of setting that I can think of. Whilst switching Pure Cinema off does produce an improvement, nothing else seems to including switching to 100MHz drive mode.

The worst images occur during panning and the faster the panning, the worse the picture.

I would liken it to a short-sighted person having their glasses removed and then replaced and this process repeated continuously.

15. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Mate - the set sounds faulty. I have an LCD which is meant to have really bad smearing and it is nothing like the description you are giving here.

I have not heard any of the other pio guys complain so either your eyes are much more suited to spotting the smear or the set is a dead duck.

16. Bridger

Bridger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can't live with a set like this, so it's going back.

With the power cut that I had last night, the decision not to watch t.v. was made for me.

Now I'm left with the problem of what to do now regarding a replacement set. Probably a second hand CRT if I can find one.

Thanks for all the posts and Happy Christmas.

17. gunslinger

gunslinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    as a completely unbiased opinion here, and fresh set of eyes to this thread, it seems to me that you made the right choice, i have not read anywhere of problems this severe, and i too would conclude that this set you have is faulty, based solely on the descriptions you make and fixes / connections you have tried, i would be more than tempted to try a replacement though and not give up on your selection just yet.