pioneer 427 ANOYING lines when camera pans

L

laurence harvey

hi, was wondering if anyone had any up to date news on this problem, been watching the ashes and picture is great till the camera pans, then I see dirtyish dark streaks down the screen till the camera stops panning.
This is really anoying me and am looking for it on all channels now, phoned pioneer help line and they said it was down to the feed [ntl via qed scart] !!!
has anyone sent theirs back because of this ??
Does anyone know how widespread this problem is ??
any cures ???? [ i have altered every setting I can but no change]
Havnt checked to see if its there when watching a dvd via hdmi yet..so does anyone get the problem with all connections/media ????

Any advice greatly received as am tempted to firstly try a new pioneer then send it back and buy a panny if thats the same as well.

happy xmas to all

chaparral

You could try find a DVD movie that you have that does this panning problem...And then you could take that dvd movie to a shop and try it on there showroom pioneer 427 plasma..
Plus any other TV you like to test it on..

DJ Mike

Believe it or not, I'd be inclined to place it down to the digital feed as well.

Digital TV transmissions have notoriously bad compression, and I frequently see tons of dirty artifacting with camera pans and such, even on my 32" CRT.

However, it could genuinely be your set that is the problem. You need to test it with a high quality source - which does not include digital TV, I'm afraid! Best stick in a modern film with a good quality transfer - Panic Room is a remarkably good test (very good picture quality on DVD)

D

David1943

Are you using Standard or High Definition? Also, what size is your screen and from what distance do you view it?

The signal from my digital ntl box through a medium priced SCART is awful in comparison to the built-in freeview tuner in my Panasonic PX60.

David :)

L

laurence harvey

thanks for quick replies and ideas guys, I should have been clearer...my apologies.

I have a 42 inch pio 427 xd , watch ntl digital [not hd ] from 10 foot away, picture is excellent till I get sweeping camera pans then I see the dirty whites effect that was mentioned on other posts, not highly visable , look like dark thin shadow streaks all along screen, more visable on single colour light backgrounds...
good idea about the dvd, but the type of camera pans on films dont seem to be the same as used on live sport etc. so not sure if this will work..that was why I asked if people who have this prob with their pioneers [ quite a few if i remember] get it with dvds as well..

D

David1943

thanks for quick replies and ideas guys, I should have been clearer...my apologies.

I have a 42 inch pio 427 xd , watch ntl digital [not hd ] from 10 foot away, picture is excellent till I get sweeping camera pans then I see the dirty whites effect that was mentioned on other posts, not highly visable , look like dark thin shadow streaks all along screen, more visable on single colour light backgrounds...
good idea about the dvd, but the type of camera pans on films dont seem to be the same as used on live sport etc. so not sure if this will work..that was why I asked if people who have this prob with their pioneers [ quite a few if i remember] get it with dvds as well..
If it's any consolation Lawrence, my Panasonic is 37" but I view from a distance of about 7 or 8 feet and also see artefacts, especially on large areas of colour such as skin tones during movement and panning.

I can live with the issue until HD becomes much cheaper or free when I may well wish I'd bought a bigger screen.

I suspect your problem is due to your digital SD feed but do try another feed before deciding.

David :)

L

laurence harvey

thanks David, its just that I didnt notice these shadow streaks untill recently, the digital artefacts arnt too bad, also I never had this problem with my old panny 42 PE30 but that was a non hd set [ not sure if that makes a difference].

J

james strang

Watch Star Wars Phantom Menace begining of the pod race when camera
pans to the starting grid, you can see the effect clearly there.

astonbilla

thanks David, its just that I didnt notice these shadow streaks untill recently, the digital artefacts arnt too bad, also I never had this problem with my old panny 42 PE30 but that was a non hd set [ not sure if that makes a difference].
any resolution to this? i get the same on both sky and DVD

i am really paranoid as the rciher sounds i bought from wanted to put the tv flat in my car and said it causes no problems and that they ship them like that!!! :eek:

i bollocked the guy and said if it had i wanted a refund - he changed his story very quickly - but obviously i am now blaming every quirk on this worry!

astonbilla

so laying flat could not have caused darker areas on the screen or these apparent lines i am seeing on pans?

choddo2006

Novice Member
I don't see how it could. The risk with lying it flat is that the glass will flex & hit the components behind it & get damaged

astonbilla

I don't see how it could. The risk with lying it flat is that the glass will flex & hit the components behind it & get damaged
good - i just worry that plasmas are very fragile and any quirk that appears i tend to blame on richer sounds moving the screen laid down.

still a wee bit concerned about the lines/grains when panning

astonbilla

Don't think so - i worry so much about every tv i get - this year i have already had the panny px60 (dead pixels) and the sony w2000 (just not very good)

I think i crap myself in case i find some fault down the line and nothing can be done etc. What are pioneer like with warranty repairs etc?

sas0875

Standard Member
I have the exact same problem. If you do a search for 'dirty screen effect' there are others with similar faults on this TV. Football is the worse for it. I have a white line that is only visible when the camera pans to follow the ball. I have tested through the inbuilt digi tuner, Sky, DVD (scart & component) all the same. If you have any football on DVD, test that. Camera panning on blue sky or a white background shows it too, as well as making the screen look as if it’s dirty on the inside.

This is my second 427 and the last one did it too, although this one is much worse. Pioneer called me back before Christmas and told me they would have an engineer from their service centre come take a look in the New Year. Still waiting.

astonbilla

called pioneer just there - guy seemed bored and told me to contact the store and they should make a decision.

Just spent the afternoon watching dvds with the screen temporarily running using isf settings from another site. Really did look great.

Can't believe i have to cart this thing in my father in laws range rover 25 miles back to richer sounds!

i would not owrry if everyone had the effect - but when the select few say they don't have it, then i begin to think my screen is faulty.

av_101

When I first changed mine off the running in settings it was really apparent on my screen as well but have to say now its been running for a few months it has nearly gone, you can barely see it now.

I thought mine was caused by running the snow screen overnight on the low settings.

astonbilla

see - thats what i keep wondering - will it just get better

but i am scared i will miss out on my window for changing the tv with the retailer. I think i will do this with every tv on the market - only if the tv was cheap as chips would i not worry about issues.

Kalos Geros

Can you take a photo of the problem? From what you described it may be combing (two video fields drawn at the same time without proper de-interlacing)...film material can show streaks in pans because of the fixed mathematical pixel structure I presume...post photo that would be great...

Leigh_1973

Novice Member
Just spent the afternoon watching dvds with the screen temporarily running using isf settings from another site. Really did look great.
Could you let us know what those settings were?

astonbilla

Can you take a photo of the problem? From what you described it may be combing (two video fields drawn at the same time without proper de-interlacing)...film material can show streaks in pans because of the fixed mathematical pixel structure I presume...post photo that would be great...
you know - if i am being honest i really don't think it is something i could take a picture of. I will endeavour to do so - but the embarassing thing is it may be too slight to see.

klythawk

you know - if i am being honest i really don't think it is something i could take a picture of. I will endeavour to do so - but the embarassing thing is it may be too slight to see.
If your "dirty screen whilst panning" is the same as mine i would say it would be impossible to take a picture of it. It is only just visable when you trying your best to see it. Most people wouldn't even notice. I am sure "it's" there on other people's pio's who say they can't see it. Just my two pennuth. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mola Mola debuts Kula integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett