1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 420H scart connection problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MarkMorton, Jan 9, 2005.

1. MarkMorton

MarkMorton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

Having toyed with the idea of a DVD recorder for a while I purchased a Pioneer 420 last week to give it a go. Primarily I want this recorder so I can pull stuff off Sky+ and burn it to DVD.

However, I have an annoying problem with it that makes it awkward to use.

Its connected as follows:

Sky+ Scart TV Out (RGB) -> 420 Scart AV2 (RGB)
    420 Scart AV1 (RGB) -> Pioneer 504HDE Input 1 Scart (RGB)

When I want to watch Sky on its own with the 420 in standby, there are no problems; Select Input 1 on the 504 and watch Sky normally.

When I first turn the 420 on, the 504 changes to a Terretrial channel input (BBC1 for example), as it does when Sky is turned off.

Selecting Input 1 again on the 504 shows Input 1 once again, and the video is being driven by the 420. Once here if I select a menu on the 420, the menu is displayed correctly but when I exit the menu, the 504 switches back to a terrestrial channel once again (i.e. it does not stay on Input 1 as I would expect). The same happens if if I playback from the 420 and then stop the playback.

I have tried removing Sky+ from the setup to ensure that its not some signal sky is putting on the scart control but the behaviour is the same.

I hope this is something stupid and obvious as its taken the shine off a new kit purchase! Any help would be very appreciated!

Thanks

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You should have the 420 set to L1(AV2) input. Press the Input Select button on the remote (next to '6') until you get L1 in the display.

When the 420 is in standby the scart signal goes straight through from AV2 to AV1.
    When it is powered up it takes the scart signal in and sends out its 'processed' setting - in this case I guess you have the internal tuner set to BBC1.

3. MarkMorton

MarkMorton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your reply but the TV is definately getting switched to its own tuner (not the one on the 420).

The TV only switches (and is switched to) the input 1 (on the TV) when the 420 is displaying something of its own (playback or on screen graphics/menus). I can of course keep switching the TV back to input 1 from the analogue tuner and I can see the 420s processed sky picture then (via L1 on the 420). As soon as I use a menu again and come out of it the TV is switched back to its own internal analogue channel (whatever one was selected last) as if the Scart device (420) has been turned off.

Thanks for your reply tho.

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This may be the solution to your problem:

1. TV broadcasts encode their picture format in scan line 23 of the picture.
    2. Scart cables also carry the format switching signal on Pin 8. A further use of Pin 8 is to auto-start connected devices. Different voltage levels indicate the meaning.
    3. Devices which have a scart output convert the line 23 signal to the Pin 8 signal, but Sky boxes alone suppress the line 23 version and send only the Pin 8 signal. Freeview boxes send the Pin 8 signal and also the line 23 signal.
    4. DVD recorders do not use Pin 8 for picture format - only for Auto-start (Pioneer) or External Link (Panasonic). Essentially they ignore Pin 8 except for auto turn on.
    6. As the line 23 signal is missing, the Pin 8 signal cannot be generated for the output of DVD recorders, however the 420 scart pass-through works on all scart pins in standby (unprocessed signal), but sends a processed signal when powered on.
    6. When the 420 is powerd up the scart output is briefly turned off during the Power On sequence, so your TV drops its AV connection and reverts to its antenna input. The absence of the Pin 8 signal may be stopping it from re-initiating the AV input.

A consequence of 4 and 5 is that you will not get auto formatting of widescreen programs when recording. This has been discussed extensively elsewhere.

I have a 420 wired with a Freeview tuner exacly as you have with your Sky box. When the 420 is turned on from standby the TV goes balnk for a moment while Power On shows in the 420 display. When it has 'settled down' the TV switches back to the 420.

Is there anything in the TV's manual about auto-switching with AV inputs?
    If I am 'driving' the TV (Sony) from an external (AV) source and that source is powered down, the TV switches to the last manually selected input. If that was the AV that the external unit is conncted to, then the screen goes blank.

Have you tried manually selecting Input 1 on your TV from its remote? This could overcome the problem, as the last selected channel will be the AV.

Also, if possible, try assigning a number button (e.g. 8) on your TV remote to Input 1 and use this button to select Input 1. Then the 'last selected channel' (if the TV is 'remembering' remote channel numbers) will be 8 = Input 1

I think I've just about got it right, but am open to correction :D

5. MarkMorton

MarkMorton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Wow. Thanks for the reply. I fiddled around with this for ages and was just getting frustrated. I only bought the thing to backup stuff from sky+ that I thought I might want to keep!

In the end I've wimped out and bought a couple of svideo->scart cables and taken the recorder out of the sky+ to panel scart connection.

There is a slight loss of PQ but its acceptable for what I'm using it for.

Unless anyone has a magic wand, it'll probably stay like it is for a while.

Thanks once again for your response.

Mark

6. srobbo999

srobbo999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mark,

I don't know if this will help or if you have tried this already, but have you used the TV/DVD button on the remote to switch from TV mode to DVD mode.

This solved a problem that I had with RGB pullthrough when the recorder is in standby. I have a similar setup to you where I loop my sky box through the DVD recorder (mine is a 220 though).

Hope it helps

:thumbsup: