1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 420 Power Off glitch

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Wolfman II, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Wolfman II

Wolfman II
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I power off my Pioneer while watching Sky through it, my screen goes blank, then a RED version of the image is displayed for 1 second, then the screen goes blank and the normal image is restored. Is this normal, what's going on?

:confused:

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It's normal on Pioneers - I don't know about other makes.

The scart pass-through when the recorder is in standby is 'passive'. All the scart pins 'in' are directly connected to all the pins 'out'.

When the recorder is turned on the 'in' is grabbed for possible recording and the 'out' is derived from the available source in the machine - you could be watching HDD or DVD - and if neither, the input signal is used.

When you turn the recorder off, all the internal circuits stop and as the passive connection is restored there seems to be a mix of signals going through the 'out' scart causing the TV to react as you describe. If it annoys you, select an analogue channel on the TV while you turn off the recorder, then go back to AV.

I expect that when you turn it on your TV goes blank, then the pic returns, then the sound, as the internal circuits take over.

The consequence of this is that if you have set Video-out to RGB but feed composite, you will not get RGB out in standby but you will when power is on.

I assume that when you choose 'Scart Through' while recording analogue, the 'passive' connection is set up.

3. Wolfman II

Wolfman II
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response. It is as I had hoped. Not just me then. Slightly annoying, but only slightly, so not a problem.