1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 420 Hard drive NOISE issues!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by thesnowman, Dec 10, 2004.

1. thesnowman

thesnowman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just got this dvd/hdd recorder a couple of days ago
    I got to says its a really great system except for the annoying load high pitch buzzing/whirring sound that the hard drive makes

Has anyone upgraded there hard drive for this recorder for a better(quieter) one, I remember reading somewhere here a while back that its impossible to upgrade to a higher gb than the 80gb limit the pioneer 420 offers
    but is it possible to install a better/quieter 80gb hard drive, if so is it a simple case of plug and play or would there need to be any additional tweaking required.

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If it's that noisy it doesn't seem right. I can just hear a 420 about 3m away in a quiet room - fairly low pitched whirr. It's about the same as a Sony VCR playing.

3. thesnowman

thesnowman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Believe me the noise is pretty loud, not only is it distracting but it gives me a headache.

so anybody else, have you installed a new hard drive into the 420, any problems setting it up.

4. akpak

akpak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'd agree with Eddyad on this - my 420 is pretty quiet, so it sounds like a possible fault.

Since DIY surgery will void the warranty, I doubt you'll find anyone who has done this yet - and I'm quite surprised that you're contemplating it. Surely with a machine this new you have some redress with the retailer, or Pioneer themselves?

I was uncertain about one or two features on mine when I first got it, and when I rang Pioneer they told me they were very proud of their machines and would work with me and the retailer to make sure I was completely satisfied - though in my case after asking about these features on here I decided there wasn't a problem after all.

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As you've only had it a few days, I'd say an immediate replacement by your dealer is warranted. The dealer (you didn't say where you got it) shouldn't object after such a short time.