1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 420 Chapters

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Lyricman, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Lyricman

Lyricman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Don't if it is me being stupid but I am having trouble with auto chapters. The manual says that if in Video mode it will automatically insert chapters at 10 or 15 mins. I record to the HD and their are no chapters. Am I missing something.

2. Mikey45

Mikey45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I have the 720 and it does the same thing but I noticed that when you copy material from HDD to DVD it then inserts the chapter marks as you set it to. I think the manual is incorrect!

3. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, actually it works like this:

1. When you record to HDD there are no chapter marks inserted, except:

a) When you hit "Pause" in the midle of the recording
    b) When you are recording from "DV in" and there is a time break in the miniDV tape

You can then define whatever chapter marks you want, in the HDD or in the "Copy List".

2. When you copy from HDD to DVD, then:

a) If you use High Speed Copy, then all chapter marks defined in the title are copied to the DVD. There are no auto chapter marks.

b) If you use Real Time copy then (depending on the "Auto Chapter" setting) chapter marks are placed acording with what you have defined in that setting (No separation, 10 min or 15 min). This setting only applies when copying from HDD to DVD.

c) If you use "One Touch Copy" then all chapter marks in the title are copied to the DVD. There are no auto chapter marks.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    'Fraid so. Recordings to the HD are never in Video mode. They are in effect in VR mode and you can edit them as you wish on the HD. This is why you don't get the chapter marks and the manual is correct. Video mode only applies to DVD-R or a DVD-RW option. (You can insert chapter marks during the recoding by pressing Chp Mark on the remote)
    There are some messy rules about chapter marks unfortunately.
    1. If your recording to the HD is in a mode which allows high speed copying to DVD-video mode then you can insert your own chapter marks on the HD and they will copy correctly.
    2. If you have a recording mode which prevents HS copy, then copying to DVD-video mode takes place in real time and you get the 10 or 15 (or no) chapter marks as on page 108 of manual.
    3. You cannot do a HS copy of widescreen material in recording modes of MN18 or below - this includes LP and EP, see page 118. The consequence of this is that you cannot get customised chapter marks into widescreen material recorded in these modes.
    4. There are other combinations related to the 'Frame Accurate' setting, but I haven't worked them all out yet :confused: I think this is what happens:
    a) Frame accurate OFF: WS material cannot be copied to DVD-video mode. If you have a mixed aspect ratio program on the HD then the WS bits will be omitted in a copy list, and each bit in 4:3 will form a separate Title. Adjacent titles can be combined into one (because they are in the same aspect ratio owing to the omissions) and you get chapter marks at the 'joins'. HS copy is possible.
    b) Frame Accurate OFF: Mixed aspect ratio material can be put into the copy list, but is split into separate titles at every aspect ratio change. Obviously you cannot combine adjacent titles because they are in different aspect ratios. HS copying is not possible.

If you want a 'test program' to experiment with, then record something from channel 4 digital terrestrial where the base program is in 4:3 mode and where there are commercial breaks in WS. 'Cheers' will do. Add a few minutes at the start and end. You will find aspect ratio changes before, during and after the program. Ch 4 analogue won't do - it is in 4:3 all the time. Ch 4 is best for this because it almost invariably makes these A/R changes