1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 420/520/720 auto aspect ratio

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by eddyad, Feb 21, 2005.

1. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If anybody is having a problem with 16:9/4:3 aspect ratio switching or RGB mode when viewing TV from an external box through the Pioneer when powered on (not scart pass through function when in standby), try pressing TV/DVD button on the remote to select DVD mode. This may solve the problem.

I must have changed it inadvertantly and couldn't understand what had happened. I called Pioneer Tech Support and the guy there solved it after checking all my settings while I was on the phone.

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Freeview HDD and Sky+ are both passed through the Pioneer 420.Both record in RGB but viewing either box while the 420 is on gives only a composite picture,even though the unit is stil recording in RGB as shown by using HDD chase play.
    While 16:9 switching works from both boxes (but only carries over on high speed recording,not optimised real time)I find that if the ratio switiches the 420 gets confused,but this is not usually a problem as after editing its ok.Once in standby both Sky and Freeview are perfect.I am mystified about this but as viewing is not usually done with the recorder out of standby its not a problem

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This is precisely what was happening to me. The Pioneer tech help guy went through a few things then thought a moment and said "Press the DVD/TV button" and the problem was cured. Simple as that.
    Aspect ratio switching always records correctly on the HDD and VR mode DVD-RW. It will only record on DVD Video mode in MN19 or better (2h 20m or less per DVD).