• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

pioneer 380 and progressive scan

cirdan

Established Member
ive just got an lcd screen and am looking for the best way to connect it to my 380. ive only ever used a scart to connect the dvd to televison.i dont want to be spending a lot on cables well not in the short term at least. so can i get better results from cheaper component cables than i can with my scart. also the 380 was only £60 so i wouldnt really want to spend more than around £30.

cheers.

ghislain

Established Member
The 380 delivers very good PQ (keeping in mind the cost of the unit!).
You can continue using Scart provided you do not want to invest in component cables and it'll enable you to enjoy your 380 straight out of the box. Be sure to configure your 380 so that it uses RGB over scart though.

I would however advise you to invest in some component cables. There are very good ones available that won't set you back much.
Have a look here:

http://stores.benl.ebay.be/Zen-Fusion-Cables_Component-Video-RCA-RCA_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

I have already bought some cables here and they are not fancy but very good quality.
Using the component connection will not only improve the PQ over scart, it'll also enable you to use Progressive scan further improving the overall PQ.

cirdan

Established Member
thanks for that.

so even low end component cables will improve pic quality over scart. i thought it might but wasent sure.

thanks again

Kalos Geros

Established Member
cirdan said:
thanks for that.

so even low end component cables will improve pic quality over scart. i thought it might but wasent sure.

thanks again

I have the 380 connected via component...it will improve over scart ONLY if you use it progressively and even then it depends on whether the content on the DVD disc is properly flagged or there will be some minor problems...you should test whether your LCD is handling de-interlacing better than the 380 but I have statistically found the 380's processing better than my PJ's...there is always some sh*tty mastered DVD that may force the 380 not perform at its best but overall its very good...

component cables are simply put 3 75ohm RCA cables bundled together and color coded...you could use 3 GOOD, separately purchased RCA video cables if you find this solution cheaper...

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom