1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 301 , 402, 501

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by nheather, Oct 15, 2004.

Tags:
  1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,194
    About to buy a home cinema set-up. I thought I had the AV part sorted and turned my attention to the TV, but I've just come back to the Amp and I'm not sure it does what I require.

I want an amp with SCART switching so my wife and children can simply press DVD, STB or TV etc and both the video and sound are switched at the time.

The only models I can find that do this are the Pioneer 301, 402 and 501.

As I said, thought this would be perfect but then spotted an issue with the digital inputs.

I have:

Sky+ with optical digital
    DVDR with optical digital

Am I correct that the Pioneers have three digital inputs, 2 optical and 1 coax but that one of the opticals is tied to the TV selection.

Therefore, I have an optical and a coax to share between my DVDR and Sky+ box, both of which have opticals.

Firstly, am I correct.

Secondly, I know I could get a coax to digital converter but that's untidy

Thirdly, the Pioneer manual shows a solution where the TV out is daisy chained through a DVD recorder and then onto the TV but again this seems messy, I'm worried about loss of signal quality through daisy chaining, and the solution loses its simplicity (i.e. you don't select DVD on the controller to get DVD!).

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    If you connect the DVDR to the DVD in you won't be able to record from the STB (unless you can directly connect them on second SCARTS), the amp->DVDR->TV looks like the only sensible way to connect.

You could use the VCR output to connect the TV but it's composite only and almost certainly worse than any loss throught the DVDR.