1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 220 stretched screen.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Shin Gouki, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Shin Gouki

Shin Gouki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i make 16:9 recordings on my 220 and play them back on my 4:3 PC monitor the screen is stretched. Why isn't it displayed in 16:9 with letter box borders so that the screen isn't strecthed?

Can somone help me out on this because it's really pissing me off. If i can't sort this out it makes my purchase of the 220 pointless. :(

2. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think I read somewhere that the Pioneer 220s (which I own and am delighted with) only adds the widescreen flag on recordings made in Fine or SP or Manual settings 19 or better.

Basically, this means you can record upto 2hrs 20mins with the widescreen flag included (if the record mode is set to the correct setting).

Recording in LP or EP or Manual setting under 19 drops the widescreen flag - regardless of the record time eg. 1 hr recorded in LP mode won't have the w/s flag.

My understanding is most current DVD recorders work in a similar way (maybe the record times deviate a bit from recorder to recorder).

For longer recordings can't you set your PC viewing software to display widescreen even though the flag isn't there ?

3. Shin Gouki

Shin Gouki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is widescreen flag? :confused:

My recordings are made in sp mode and they still won't play back without the picture being stretched.

I'l try recording in Fine mode. :smashin:

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    When you say 'stretched' I assume you mean vertically to fill a 4:3 frame. This could be described as 'squashed' horizontally to 4:3, which is how the 16:9 picture is recorded.

Fine Mode won't make any difference. The widescreen flag is what tells the display device what shape the picture is. It is carried in line 23 of the picture scan, which is invisible. It's in the area that carries teletext.

As mentioned, if the DVD has been recorded in a LP mode or worse (MN1 - 18) it cannot carry widescreen signalling - nothing to do with Pioneer, it's the DVD video mode spec. Then you get the squashed picture and although you may be able to unsquash it with the software, it is possible you can't. This is what happens with 4:3 TVs and widescreen LP mode DVDs.

Your PC video adapter/DVD software should have an aspect ratio adjustment so you can select the correct picture size. Check the control panel of the playback software for a Properties option.

You should be OK with LP VR mode DVD-RWs if your PC DVD drive will read them.

5. Shin Gouki

Shin Gouki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried fine mode and i still cant; get it to work.

Obviously the flag is not working.

Is their anyone with a 220 who can play back widscreen reordings on their pc monitors?

PS iv'e used Powerdvd and WinDVD but its no good.

My DVD-rom drive can't play back VR recordings either.

6. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I use PowerDVD and in configuration on the video tab you can take the tick out of "keep aspect ratio". This then allows you to re-size the viewing window on the screen when playing a DVD to adjust the aspect ratio manually. Problem solved !

7. Shin Gouki

Shin Gouki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No the problem is not solved.

I want a letter box 16:9 widscreen on a 4:3 monitor and the pioneer cannot do this because it doesn't have a 16:9 flag mode. :thumbsdow

8. Ian C.

Ian C.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
  9. Shin Gouki

Shin Gouki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Ian.

i've downloaded the Pgcedit software but i don't know how to instal it. I've copied the PgcEdit.exe to a folder. It tells me to launch the PgcEdit.exe and i will see a "Options/install" folder. However i don't not see this folder. :confused:

help!

10. Shin Gouki

Shin Gouki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Installation of PgcEdit.exe (under Windows)

To install PgcEdit, simply copy PgcEdit.exe in a folder of your choice, such as "C:\Program Files\PgcEdit\", or in the same folder as IfoEdit.exe, with which it cohabits very well.
    Then, launch PgcEdit.exe and see the 'Options/Install' menu: it allow to automatically create the shortcut icons and the files associations.

Note that the first time PgcEdit is run, it will create a "bin" directory in the same folder as PgcEdit.exe. Therefore, you need write permissions on the install folder, at least when PgcEdit is run for the first time, and when a new version is run for the first time.

To uninstall PgcEdit, simply use the 'Options/Install/Uninstall PgcEdit' menu. This will remove the shortcuts, the files associations and the configuration files. Then, delete PgcEdit.exe.

Note: On some foreign systems (for example corean systems), the executable may not start when you double-click on the icon. To fix this problem, you have to put PgcEdit.exe in a path containing only standard ASCII characters.

Installation of the sources (under Linux, Mac or Windows)

You will have to make sure that you have Tcl/Tk version 8.4 (or more). You must then install the sources of the script. The 'Options/Install' menu will not be present, even under Windows, and you will have to complete the installation manually.

Command line:
    $ wish PgcEdit.tcl [optional path to VIDEO_TS.IFO]

Under Unix, you can make PgcEdit.tcl executable directly with:
    $ chmod a+x PgcEdit.tcl
    $ mv PgcEdit.tcl pgcedit
    You may also have to add the install directory to your path. Then use this command line to launch PgcEdit:
    $ pgcedit [optional path to VIDEO_TS.IFO]

The sources of PgcEdit are contained in PgcEdit.exe (in the PGCEDIT folder). You can extract them with an unzip program, such as WinZip. You may also download the source files alone.

The web site of Tcl/Tk is www.scriptics.com
    Tcl/Tk for Windows (ActiveTcl): www.activestate.com/Products/ActiveTcl/
    FreeWrap (.exe generator): sourceforge.net/projects/freewrap/

I don't understand any of this. :confused:

Where do i type the command line?

11. Ian C.

Ian C.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Cant help on that Shin Gouki, perhaps someone will
    answer who can or PM kevo who gave the link to the
    software he should be able to help you m8 :thumbsup:

12. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should find if you record in VR mode that WSS is recorded.Use your PC to copy from VR-RW then back to -R.Or..
    Make your original recording on -RW and use DVD Decrypter (file mode)and IFO edit(both free) to add the WSS before you burn back to -R.Or....
    Get a HDD model.These will retain the WSS when burning to -R in high speed mode.
    Pioneer 420,now just £299(or less) at Richer Sounds ,and its MR

13. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I understood teh post about unticking 'keep aspect ratio' to mean that you can free up the box the video plays in for manual resizing.
    You don't say what video card your PC has. But most allow you to override or force aspect ratio to what you want.

14. Shin Gouki

Shin Gouki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IFO edit and Pgcedit don't work

Nothing works. :(

EDIT.

:clap:

I've worked it out at last and it was so easy to do in the end. :oops:

15. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What was the answer 'in the end'?

16. Shin Gouki

Shin Gouki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i wanted to convert the DVD to DivX so i opend up the DVD navigation IFO file with IFO Edit. Under Title Set (Movie) Attributes: I clicked on video:. Changed the aspect Ratio to 16:9. Then just saved and overwrite the file and .bup file. Then i converted it to Divx with Gordian Knot.