1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 2011 USB quality

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by potfish, Dec 22, 2003.

Tags:
  1. potfish

potfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi

I've had a Pioneer 2011 for a few months and am now toying with the idea of converting an old PC I'm no longer using into an HTPC.

I realise that the USB is stereo-only but was wondering what sort of quality I should expect. Is it a real hi-fi input or just a gimmick?

I connected the PC and played some FLAC (lossless compression) files using foobar2000, played the same music on the CD and switched between the two inputs to compare the sound. (By the way, is there a USB button on the remote? I can't find one!)

I was rather disappointed with the USB performance - it sounded thin and lifeless compared to the CD, on all types of music tried (hard rock, melodic and electronic).

My CD player is an old Marantz thing connected with £25 interconnects so rather nice but not stratospheric performance.

Is there something I should be tweaking on the PC, or am I just expecting too much?

Cheers
    potfish

2. jameslindsey

jameslindsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    No USB button on the remote I'm afraid. I have set a macro up on my pronto/ipaq to select the last input that has a descrete code and then cycle to USB, which seems to work OK. Not sure if the learning/macro ability of the Pioneer remote can do this because I dont use it.

USB works well. Not sure I can give you a commen on quality though as I only have heavily compressed mp3s. I have a 5m cable and this has to be better than connecting up an audio lead of a similar length.

I'd give it a go as USB A-B cables are cheap.

Good Luck!