1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 2011 questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by RAL 12, Apr 17, 2003.

Tags:
  1. RAL 12

RAL 12
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A couple of questions for 2011 owners.

1) What is the unit doing to the sound in THX cinema mode? Specifically, does it change all speaker settings to small (THX standard?) if the fronts are previously been set to large by the MCACC auto set up?

2) Similarly, comparing 2 ch stereo and Direct modes - does the direct mode turn speakers that were set as small to large (as my old Marantz SR5200 did)? I had assumed that direct mode would bypass bass management and send a full range signal to front speakers regardless of their size settings but now I'm not sure.

Can anyone help - the manual is pretty quiet on this (and other!) things.

thanks

2. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes but many would suggest that if you have a sub then you should set all speakers to small anyway, regardless of their capabilities

It's meant to bypass everything to run as "true" a signal as possible

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    THX settings are all speakers set to small and crossover to sub set at 80Hz.

Direct mode will send whatever the input signals are direct to the intended speaker with no processing or bass management. So for stereo just your front 2 speakers will play with their full range, just like the Marantz.

4. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    On my Pioneer 2011, the bass still goes to the subwoofer in Direct Mode with my speakers set to 'small', bass to 'subwoofer' and crossover frequency set to '80Hz'. So bass management is not bypassed.

5. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    :confused:

I will investigate further and report back!

6. RAL 12

RAL 12
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help and comments.

I agree with godfather that the direct mode does not seem to be really direct - setting small front speakers means that frequencies below the set cut off get routed to sub out, regardless of whether you're in stereo or direct modes. So some bass management is still occurring.

Linking this to my first question what I'd like to have is large fronts for music (I have a strata III connected to both high and low level simultaneously, so for music replay I'd like a full range signal to fronts with nothing sent to sub via the low level out) and the ability to set all speakers to small for movies. This without having to change speaker size each time I change from music to movies.

So if THX cinema mode changes the speaker settings I can have the fronts set as large (to give me what I want for music) and, simply by changing the mode to THX cinema, have small speaker settings for films.

If direct was really direct I could have had set the speakers to small and then listened to music in direct, sending a full range signal to fronts & nothing to sub.

I think my reasoning is correct but feel free to point out if my thinking is flawed!

thanks again

7. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I dont know if this is of any help.......but i have a denon 3803 and changed from a sony 930......
    when in direct from the sony, it turned the sub off and sent full range to the front speakers....when i brought the denon, it left the sub on, in direct mode....but i did read on here and in the manual, that i can go into the settings and turn the sub off (which i have done).

Now i get full range to the fronts, evern with them set on small, for all other modes.

Maybe the same thing might apply to the pioneer.

8. graxxor

graxxor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that in direct mode, the bass management is bypassed only for the front speakers, sending a full range signal to the front speakers. Anything below the cutoff frequency is ALSO sent to the subwoofer, hence the subwoofer outputting a signal.

Even in Denon's PURE DIRECT MODE the subwoofer is active for signals below the frequency cut off range.

The only way to stop a signal being sent to the sub is to set the sub to "not present".

I think...

9. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well, I have another question for 2011 owners.

What does the MCACC do in a sub-sat combo? I mean, does it eq only the output of the sat's or also each sat's/channel's bass output coming from the sub?

10. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    It only equalises the sats.

11. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the info. Your sig mentions the BFD (whatever that exactly is). I vaguely remember reading earlier that you eq the sub with it. Am I right?

It's a pity the MCACC doesn't handle the sub but I realise a five step EQ hardly can do it all. I wonder if it's the same with the better Pioneer's (forgot the model) 9-step eq?

12. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I only had a quick play with the Ax10 but think the MCACC stopped around 63Hz.