1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 2011 or Rotel 1055/1056

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Justinrog, Jun 30, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Justinrog

Justinrog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a bit of a problem, I found a Pioneer 2011 on a special offer of £399 and bought it. However, when I got it home, the left channel was not functioning so the shop said I could send it back for repair. So it is currently being repaired. Although, I have been told I can get an exchange or a refund. I have really got myself in a mood for a new amp and started to get afraid that the Pioneer might have problems. So I had a demo of a Rotel 1055 and I loved the sound.

Now, I would love the 1055/1056, but I am afraid I am going over-board for my speakers, which are the Kef Eggs due to the small room. However, I have put my name down for a Ruark Log sub, so I should get one too. Will I get a decent sound out of the Rotel compared with other amps with these speakers?

Is it worth going for the Rotel (I really love the sound!) or should I stick with my 2011 (Which I have not yet heard due to the problems). Should I maybe forget it all and keep my Yammy 630RDS?

Sorry, but I am really un-sure on what to do.

Thanks for any help,

Justin

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Justin
    If you really like the rotel i would get it, it may be a bad omen concerning the pioneer it may have been thrashed by its previous owner.The rotel amps are also excellent in stereo so if you listen to music it is a plus point they are also built to last.Regarding the kef eggs they will sound even better with a quality amp and you never no you might even change your speakers in the future.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)

3. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I think you would definately have to upgrade the speakers to get the most out of the Rotels but I felt they were definately worth the extra cash over a 2011, hence why I bought them!

4. Justinrog

Justinrog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys. Although, cp2003, I am only interested in either the 1055 or the new 1056 Rotel series. Can't really stretch to the set you have. Do you still have the same opinion that the speakers will be sub-par compared to the Rotel 1055 or 1056?

Thanks,

J

5. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I think you'd notice much more improvement in sound spending the extra money on speakers and keeping the 2011, rather than the other way round. YMMV, of course.

6. Justinrog

Justinrog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even though the 2011 has had these problems and needed to be repaired?

Also, I am unable to buy floorstanders, so I think I will be sticking with these speakers for a while as they are hung on the wall.

So, what I understand by this, is that the 2011 will give me maximum performance from my speakers and that it is not worth going for something like a Rotel 1055?

Thanks,

J

7. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Yes, the money spent on the rotel combo couldn't possibly produce much better sound from the speakers than the 2011. Unless it's still broken when it gets back from being mended? I'm sure there's something else you could spend your cash on :)

8. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    I would agree that the limitation of the eggs will mean you wouldn't notice much improvement by going Rotel. You may be concerned about the condition of the Pioneer, but sounds like you'll be able to put it through its paces before making a final decision to keep. I would use the cash for a good sub, and spend time getting it set-up with the eggs, as I think that will make the biggest difference.