1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 2011 & Kef 2005 mk 2 work well?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ebiumn, May 7, 2003.

1. ebiumn

ebiumn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thinking of getting pioneer 2001 and new kef 2005.2 and panny hs2, anyone got experience on whether this lot will work well together?

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2011 is a bit OTT with Kef Eggs. You don't need a AV amp that fancy (and high output) The Pioneer has been reported as a bit bright/harsh so demo one first.

3. ebiumn

ebiumn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    what speakers would work well with 2011, size is quiet important to my wife :)

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ho ho! :)

Does she like small things or big things then? :)

IMO small sats are OK- but not amazing, a standmount for each speaker will sound much better.

But wifey probably doesn't want big speakers right? :(

5. ebiumn

ebiumn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    nope wifey likes the bose cubes her sisters husband just brought, and wants to know if we can get ones like them, i have to explain why we wont be getting them without saying that her family have just made a massive mistake, diplomacy, i luv it

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bose. ugh. :( overpriced junk.

Look at the Kef Eggs, Ruark Vita's, M&K K series, Anthony Gallo, Energy Take 5.1. And probably lots more makes.

You really don't need the 2011 for a sat system, go for the lower models (1011)

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    How about the slim Pioneer reciever ... I've heard reports of it being very good for its size ... very similar to the 811 (I think thats right model number)

Alternatively look at AV amps in the £300 - £500 price bracket to make the most of the KEF Eggs ... spending much more than that would be a waste (of money) IMO.

Vikki

8. ebiumn

ebiumn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    wow, someone is trying to talk me out of spending my money, the only person who normally does that is wifey when she would rather me spend it on her :)

9. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    If you're running sats the 811 will have more than enough grunt, it's got the toys (6.1 etc) & It's only about £350. I'm running mine with Kef Q1s (fronts & surrounds) Q9c (Centre) & a kef egg (surround back) and it sounds brilliant in movie mode. The amp and I have an agreement not to discuss it's performance with stereo sources in polite circles, but suffice to say I have a separate amp for CDs (mind you if I'd paid the extra for the 1011, I would still have had to have done the same)

10. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    :rotfl: Classic!

11. Ravi 123

Ravi 123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can always get a secondhand denon 3802 for £350.

12. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I use the 2011 with the Gallos sats, which are fairly wife friendly, and the combination works well to my ears.
    If you've settled on the KEFs then i'd pop along to a dealer and get him to hook them up to a few AV amps...only you can really decide what is/isn't worth paying.
    A key point to remember when comparing amps is to make sure the dealer matches each amp for sound pressure level...playing one amp a few dB louder than another can trick the brain into "that sounds better" mode.

13. miniman

miniman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You could always use the 2011 and just not crank it up too much at least then you have all the nice sound formats that the pioneer has to offer

14. ebiumn

ebiumn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thats about what I was thinking

15. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing to do with volume. If the amp can deliver enough clean power at the speakers handling then it's good enough. For example using a Rotel 1095 200W poweramp into Kef Eggs will work, and sound fine. But the amp outclasses the speakers and is way OTT. And same with the 2011, but to a lesser degree.

16. miniman

miniman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes I take your point but what if He wants all the little extras that you get with a more expensive amp, what if he wants a seven channel amp with thx post processing or the mcacc set up or maybe he might want to upgrade his speakers at a later date the amp as you say will run with better speakers .

I've just bought a AX10i amp and have had to use my old bose am15's as surrounds and rear surrounds (hardly ideal but will do the job for now) and have bought a pair of linn unik for left and right backed up by a rell Q150e sub(all very wife friendly).

All i'm saying is buy the amp you want get an audition first and then I'n a few months time show your wife the M&k in wall speakers and then the fun really begins.

17. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    "A fool and his money are easily parted"

A top notch av amp will not necessarily sound better to the listener than a lower spec amp - a 2011 v 811 or 1011 driving kef eggs will sound very similar. So you end up justifying the extra cost in terms of toys - well IMHO buy a SPL meter to set your amp up (you'll never trust the auto set up anyway) and the reason to buy a 2011 ahead of a 1011 disappears & then it's down to your ears to justify the extra expense over the 811 - I decided to spend more on speakers - I could really hear a difference there

18. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    You also have to consider if you may want to upgrade further down the line.

The 811 with KEF Eggs now, will sound very similar to a 2011 with KEF Eggs ... but if you think later you may upgrade to (for example) B&W CDM 1NT front plus CDM CNT centre the 2011 will be superiour with the better speakers ... so if you can afford it you might decide to get the 2011 now knowing it will make a big difference later. Having said that ... who knows what will be avaliable in a years time when you want to upgrade the speakers.

IIRC ... the 811 has all the formats avaliable with the 2011, but doesn't have any of the auto setup stuff - setting up isn't difficult to do though.

Vikki

19. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Good point Vikki, the only prblem with your argument is that when you come to upgrade your speakers, the 2011 will definitely be old hat and itchy palms will lead to the purchase of a bigger better amp.

Future proofing is not something I tend to worry about, 'cos I know I'll buy something and it'll be obsolete before I've opened the box :)

20. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I look at things differently, it would seem.

The 2011 might look like a reasonable match for my old Mission 75series speakers but they sound awful together, to me.
    Similarly, my Gallos sats might seem well matched to a Sony1080, but as soon as things got busy they sounded poor. The 2011 make the Gallos work well, but they still sound better, to me, with 2000USD worth of power amp strapped to each one.

I'd worry less about the price tags on the respective components and more about how things actually sound to your own ears,... it's with this matching that a decent dealer can work out worth his/her weight in gold.

21. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    wilber ... I agree with your sentiments about something new will be out by the time you come to upgrade speakers ... hence my

Depends how long time you might want to upgrade ... was just something to think about.

I'd go for an amp/reciever around £300 with Eggs - but listen to it first as some may match better than others.

Vikki

22. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm considering this combo myself, currently I'm driving my eggs with an old Yamaha RX-V595aRDS. While I agree that the 2011 really is an overkill with these speakers, I expect the MCACC calibration system to bring out the best of good-but-far-from-perfect speakers. I was really excited with the release of Pioneer 912 but unfortunately it turned out that the MCACC in it does not have the equalization built in. :(

Re: the SPL measurements, I personally do not have the know-how, possibly nor the will to do complicated manual EQ adjustments.

23. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    rauer ... SPL readings are taken by using the test tones and increasing or reducing the volumes so that everything is balanced ... to be honest it's not rocket science.

Anyways ... if you want to use the 2011, then thats great but other amps will give as good sound through Eggs ... maybe you should arrange a home demo before buying.

Vikki

24. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    OK, Vikki, a further question regarding the measurements and adjustments. Do higher quality or newer receivers usually have manually adjustable equalisation - possibly for different channels? My Yamaha has no such thing and that's the antidote for the 'flaws' in speaker output and room acoustics I've been wishing to find in the 2011.

Hope you understand my question as English isn't my mother tongue and I'm not even sure I understand that myself! ;)

25. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Can't resist mentioning this - when it comes to stereo, I don't think you can 'economise' because you're using Kef Eggs. I demoed the eggs in stereo with a Denon 3802 and noticed some of my demo CDs sounding less than adequate (female vocals particularly). The same CDs via the eggs and a Denon AVC-10SE sound very good indeed. I could also add that I hooked the eggs up to a Tag/Arcam combo recently and they sounded better again.

26. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Whilst Mr Pleasant is no doubt correct that the better the amplifier, the better the overall sound may be from a given set of speakers it is still an unusual budget to match a £2,000 amp with a set of £600 speakers and IMHO a total budget of £2,600 can be allocated the other way around to give far better results and I would go the route suggested by Nathan way back and have small standmounters.

Have a look at Quad or KEF Q1 and partner them with a decent sub and you will have a far better system that looks nice and will turn your brother in law green with envy

27. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    I agree wit Ian ... yes a £2000 will give you the best possible sound from the Eggs, the Eggs will not bring more than a small fraction of the possible best sound from the £2000 amp.

If you did have £2600 (an AX10i plus Eggs) then you could get a lot better sound spending your money slightly differently ... especially with better front speakers. IMO, a 2011 (maybe even a SR5300) with Q1 fronts, the Q9c, 1 or 2 pairs of Eggs at the back (or similar form other manufactureres) plus a sub, will **** all over an AX10i with all round eggs - and won't be significantly worse looking IMO (infact maybe look even better).

As for the implication that we shouldn't be saying not to buy the 2011 ... we were asked for our opinions on matching the 2011 with KEF Eggs ... and for many of us our opinion is that the Eggs will be vastly outclassed by the amp, and that its not worth the extra money over a 2011. No one has said that they wont work, or that you shouldn't buy it as a combination but we were questioning the sanity of dividing the money is such a way.

Vikki

28. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    The key thing, for me, here is that there are no hard and fast rules....and part of the fun is working out how best to spend 2.6K...sat in a dealers demo room with a coffee and a stack of your favourite DVDs/CDs