Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Pioneer 2011 Autosetup - how accurate ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Buckster, Feb 9, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    My Pioneer 2011 I love to bits - BUT its autosetup seems to be not too great !

My left front speaker is nearer to the listener than the right - but a small amount - but due to room dynamics (stairs etc) - the left sounds quite a bit louder than the right - unless you correct it.

YET - everytime I run the autosetup it puts the left hand speaker 2.5 - 3dB higher than the right - which is completely wrong.

any ideas ? Or just autosetup a bit flawed ?

The manual was a bit vague - I presume the circular based microphone - should be so flat base is on a flat surface - ie the microphone facing directly upwards ?

Thanks for any help,

Mark.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +882
    Assuming it is the standard unidirectional mic used for auto-setups then it should be placed (ideally at head height) where the key seating possition is facing directly upward. This will allow it to 'experience' any alcoves etc which create an echo box effect and prevent the 'true' sound being blocked by arms of sofa's etc if you place it at bum level which wont occure when you are viewing (unless you always are laying down on the sofa when watching films)

My experience of auto-setups is that whilst they are a 'good starting point' they cannot beat the results gained from a tape measure and sound pressure meter

3. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    Thanks Astaroth

Thats what I was doing I think - putting it on a chair on my listening position - so at head height.

If it thought LR fronts were equal volume fine - but to say Left needs +3dB over right front is really taking the bisuit a bit - since it should be +3dB for the right speaker !

Might try a reset and see if that helps,

Mark.

4. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ideally, you don't want to put the mike onto a surface. If it's like mine, it's threaded underneath so you can use a photographic tripod to place it where your head would be without adding a major sound modifying surface nearby.

I don't think it can be the case, but it almost sounds as if you've got left and right speakers swapped, so the amp is agreeing with you and you just don't realise it!

5. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    Thanks all - sorry Ancientgreek - only just noticed a reply to me thread.

I bought a SPL meter in the end and yes right speaker to sound-level wise is lower than the left one- which is so bizarre as to the human ear its the opposite way round ! - must be some weird room dynamics.

Mark.

6. Eitzel

Eitzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Top Secret-Anyone coming anywhere near my Pioneer
    Ratings:
    +145
    I set mine on the head of a "Teddy", who was sat in my seat on a cushion, with the top of the mic positioned at exactly the height of my ears. It worked wonderfully! :thumbsup: