pioneer 2011 and 4ohm speakers

paulefox

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have purchased a 2011 and I am running it with celestion a series speakers they are all 4ohm except the centre which is 6ohm
I have now found through the forums that I should be rumnning 8ohm with this amp
Will it effect the equipment if I use the 4ohm ones and also will I lose any quality.
To me it sounds really good.
If these are not suitable I was thinking about getting the B & W VM1 s

Other than setting the amp to 6ohm mode i'm not sure i'd worry too much.
That said, if your Celestion's are low sensitivity and low impedence and you're looking for loud volumes there's a danger the amp might run out of steam, start to clip which runs a risk of damaging the speaker...that said the amps thermal cut-outs will probably step in before this happens.

Which Celestion A's are you using?

Hopefully not the big floorstanders- you need more than a Pioneer 2011 for them.

I have celestion a2s at the front which are floorstanders , but not as big as the a3s I have the A4c centre and the A5rs at the rear and one as the centre rear

Found this...

A2 2.5-way floor standing speaker * Impedance 4 ohms * Sensitivity 92dB * IEC power rating 150Watts

A4c Three-way centre speaker * Impedance 4 ohms * Sensitivity 90dB * IEC power rating 100Watts

A5r Two-way * Four driver dipole surround * Impedance 8ohms * Sensitivity 87dB * IEC power rating 100Watts

it says sensitivity 90 on the back of the main speakers and 88 on the centre but apart from that these figures are correct

Rears-no problem.

I wouldn't like to say regarding the centre and fronts. Once you get into 4Ohm area I would advise not using AV amps. But that's just me.

btw, the Celestion's are MUCH better speakers than the B&W VM1's.

so do you think I should just still use them or change them , I could always sell them on ebay and buy something else

Keep the Celestion's.

To be honest - if I was in your position I would sell the Pioneer and get a Processor/Poweramp setup.

Perhaps techies here with knowlegdge of the 2011 can say whether you'll be OK with the Celestion/Pioneer setup.

I'll let someone else answer if the Pioneer/Celestion setup is safe first.

A lot will depend on what levels you listen to.

Using 4ohm speakers shouldn't damage the amp ... it has a cut off so that it's not overloading (IIRC) ... my advise would be not to worry if your amp isn't cutting out.

One alternative would be to add a decent stereo power amp for the front speakers ... a NAD C270 or Rotel RB1070 would be good starting points to look at.

Vikki

I actually rang Pioneer as i was looking to buy this amp, i have Dynaudio 42's all round. (4ohm 89db i think!) the guys at Pioneer Techie dept. said they cant recommend the 2011 for my speakers.

in fact they couldn't recommend the top of the range model is it the AS1 or something.

So i bought a rotel 985-mkII for my Arcam AVR100. wow what a difference.

Jon

I'm sure I've posted this a hundred times before, so this time I'll remember the thread Id so I can just link to it.:cool:

Anyhoo,
Pioneer 2011 and 4Ohm loads. The Pioneer has an overspecced power supply (better than 80% of the amps in it's price bracket) and it has a sophisticated softcut circuit if you drive it beyond it's limits. This is part of the THX Select certification (worth having IMHO). It is almost totally safe to drive 4Ohm speakers with this amp, but you may not get to Reference sort of levels without the protection cutting in.
Many (ignorant/stupid/insert derogatory comment here) people will therefore claim that it has a problem with low impedance speakers, because you can't really turn it up to the point where it distorts.
:lesson:
No-one here will ever advise you to turn something up beyond the point where it starts (audibly) distorting.

As per EvilM, and further to my earlier post with speaker sensitivity at 90+dB i wouldn't expect a major problem achieving decent SPLs.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom