1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 1015. advice.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by splnter, Aug 30, 2005.

Tags:
  1. splnter

splnter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi, ok i bought this amp the other day, and when i do the mcacc setup,
    It comes up with errer on the rears but it knows they are there .

I have tested to make shore the cables is fine.
    I have reset the amp.
    I have phoned pioneer up , (didnt help really).

It does the sound test part ok, but when fin it just comes up as errer on the rears, any one have this problem. ???

Thanks Ian.

2. splnter

splnter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I take it no one has had this problem then.

Ohh well.

3. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Setting up my 1014 tonight, error on rear too. One wire had come loose at back of receiver. You'll hear what speaker is the problem one as it won't wmit the white noise.

4. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Are you using 5 speakers or 7 speakers?

If 5, are you sure you have the surround speakers in the correct place as far as connections go and placement? It will be expecting them to be to the sides / slightly behind your listening position NOT directly behind you.

Long shot answer, so sorry if I'm totally on the wrong track. If I am, perhaps you could reply with a few more details as to the situation and someone else may have more luck helping you.

Gary

5. splnter

splnter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Ok iam using the 5.1 set up at the min,

Yes my rears are right behind me.

The wires are in the amp fine and i am getting the white noise Out of both rears.

6. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You need to be careful about terminology here; in a 5.1 setup, you should not be using 'rears' at all, but left and right surround.

It is a 7.1 amp, and it will have sockets for rear left / rear right. These are NOT the ones you need to use. You need surround left and surround right. And as far as position goes, these surround speakers shouldn't really be behind you at all. Please see http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html

That's what I'm trying to get at here. Are your cables in the correct outputs? If they are cabled correctly, could their incorrect position (as far as the amp is concerned) be confusing it?

Gary

7. splnter

splnter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi, Gary...

Right yes it is a 7.1 amp. Not got the side speakers yet !!!!

I have been using my rears as rears as i have a 32 foot living room, and i am going to get the sides later.

Right i have just taken out the the rear speakers from the rear of the amp and put them in as rear sides and the test works ok.

I then put another speaker on as a center rear, and got the error up again.
    I can do the test when speakers are in the sides , but as soon as i put something on as rear back speakers it comes up as error.

8. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You'll need to leave them plugged into the surround outputs, even though you are positioning them behind you.

Ideally, put your rear speakers beside you as shown on the dolby website. When you upgrade, you can then put speakers behind you and go for 7.1.

I know this might sound daft, but it's what you need to do.

If you are watching a 5.1 film, all surround information will go to the SURROUND speakers, not REAR speakers. If you leave them plugged into the rear sockets, you'll get no surround sound at all unless you have a Dolby EX or DTS ES film in which case you get a centre rear as well (which, if I understand correctly will be reproduced by both rear speakers).

Not 100% sure why you're getting the error with the centre rear. Possibly because the system will expect you to have the other 5 speakers as well. It expects a minimum of center, front right + left and surround right + left before you go worrying about rears. If you are disconnecting any of the above to test the rear left and right, that may explain the error. Just set it up with surrounds, move your rears to a surround position and don't worry about it until you get another 2 speakers :D

Gary

9. splnter

splnter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi Gary,

Well i will have to leave my rears at the back of the room at mo as i have no where to fit them.. Was going to go for some nxt speakers to use as sides.
    Picture frame ones, so dont look out of place. :)

But i still cant work out why the rears come up with error, Even pioneer dont know that 1.

Told me to take the amp to a servise center.. Yer right a 3 day old amp going for repair... i dont think so.. If there is a problem with it they can come pick it up and give me a new one.

10. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    in a 5.1 setup the rear speakers can be behind you if you want, it is far from essential that they be beside you, as they will be transmitting sound right from beside you all the way round behind to the other side. if you have them beside you in 5.1 you may feel a hole behind where in a 6/7.1 setup, a centre rear would fill in.

On a 5.1 amp the Left Surround/ Right surround are labelled as such. In a 7.1 amp these are effectively still the "main" rears, but may be called Side speakers, as ideally in full 7.1 they will be beside you.

The rear speakers are then usually called surround back speakers (side speakers should still be called surround speakers as with traditional 5.1)

As Gary says, the rear/surround back speakers are an "extra", only to be used if you have "side" speakers as well, otherwise all you have are surround speakers, which can go anywhere from beside to behind really :)

looking back this looks like a confusing mush to me, but see what you make of it!

11. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    as for the error if you tried one surround back speaker, did you connect it correctly? some amps require you to either flick a switch, wire it accross the two surround back channels (dont do this unless it says!) or use the surround back LEFT (or right ;) )

12. splnter

splnter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi, yes i did try that.. wired it as right rear to make it a center... still came up with error. :(

The problem is when i do get the side speakers, then use backs it will still come up with error !!!!

As i have put all 7 speakers on and it still came up with error.

13. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    thats very strange, but i doubt its faulty.

are the speakers all in the right place? (sides at the sides rears at the rears, and definite separation between them?)

14. splnter

splnter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi, yes the rears are rears and the sides.. well there at the rear at the min,
    But i found out that to get the rears to work you have to go into menu and set it to extsion speakers.. did that and got the center rear to work. :)

Ok next question !!!! will the rears be in mono ????

The sides seem to be in stereo..

But the rears are in mono... is that right ????

And thank you everyone who helped me on this one. :)

15. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes, the rears will be mono. If, indeed, they do anything at all.

If you use standard 5.1 or standard DTS modes, the back 2 won't do anything. The side 2 will work just fine.

With DTS ES or Dolby EX, you are adding a 6th channel. If using 2 speakers, this will basically be steered mono. If I understand it correctly ;)

Your manual should tell you which speakers are used in the different modes. There will probably be a way that the amp can use the rears with a 5.1 disk, but it will be a matrixed output, not a true pair of channels.

From what I understand, no disk out there currently uses 7.1 channels. 6.1 is the max, though I'm willing to be put right on this.

Gary

16. splnter

splnter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Right thanks..

Ok looks like i will have to have the sides back a bit then and i might aswell only use 1 rear, As the sides are stereo, so will get a bit more out of it .

Ohh well !!! next year they will bring one out with stereo at the rear again.. lol ... Back to boring mono @ rear. :thumbsdow

17. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    correct, no disc uses 7.1, and they wont with the current crop of formats.

any DD EX 6.1 soundtrack is recorded in 5.1, and the 6th channel is matrixed out of the 2 surround channel.

you can do the same thing with a DD5.1 track, making a surround back channel (and although the track hasn't been designed for this its hard to tell the difference :) )

DTS comes as DTS ES discrete, and DTS ES.

discrete has an extra discrete 6th channel, and is the only 6.1 of its kind (it replaces another bit of the stream which is essential in DD bt not in DTS, and requires a suitable decoder to look for this replacement track)

DTS ES standard is the same as DD EX, with the surround back encoded in to the surround left and right.

I have surround back enabled all the time, but everyone has their preferance :)

18. splnter

splnter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Got that !!!! Thanks for clearing that up. :thumbsup:

Well i will have my rear on all the time .. no point in having it well not for me anyway as i have mtv on most of the time and i like every speaker working with it. :)

Well at the min i have my rears wired as sides and have a center rear working on dining table..lmao..

19. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    we've all been there in one form or another, window sill for me :rotfl: