Pio575 or Denon 1920

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Herb, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Herb

Herb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just ordered a sony KDLV32A12 from empire direct, due to arrive tomorrow :thumbsup: . Just wondering whether to stump up £200+ for the denon 1920 or go with the tried and trusted Pio575.

A lot of people suggest that PQ on the Pio over component is superb and may not actually be inferior than a player using dvd/hdmi like the denon. I'm also thinking that as sky hd is coming out in 6 months or so and this would take up my hdmi socket on the lcd I'd have to switch to component from the dvd player anyway unless I got a hdmi switcher - anyone know how much a good switcher would cost? Or whether ths would be worth doing compared to just settling for the Pio??

2. zoro

zoro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    1920, is the worst build quality, I have seen on $350 player, it is like empty tin box! man!

3. Media_Man

Media_Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get the Pio 575 for £99.99 and spend the rest on a good set of component leads and some DVD's. :clap:

I've had the 575 for a few months now and its been superb. I only use RGB Scart and the pic is the best i've ever seen on my TV.
    Component should be sublime.

NB: Take the time to use the 575's (quite advanced) pic set-up menu for optimum results though.

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    HDMI switchers are quite expensive at the moment. Comments about the 1920 are relatively scant at the moment but seem to be generally positive about the picture quality.

I can't imagine the build quality is much different to the Pio, but the price is of course. Your logic about keeping the HDMI socket free for HD sounds sensible...PJ

5. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have both players and there's little in it for build quality.

The 575 is superb value. But it doesn't have DVI.

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Interesting... How does picture quality compare?

...PJ

7. Herb

Herb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very interesting guys, and perhaps pushing me more in the direction of the 575 than before, although as you could prob tell i was leaning that way anyway.

CLH - I'd be keen to hear your comments on how the picture quality compares on the two, coz that what's most important at the end of the day.......

Also noted about costs for switcher, all comments i've seen so far suggest that they are expensive.

8. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I bought the 575 in an effort to have a Universal player.

So I connected it through component to my Sharp LCD.

I saw shimmering, jaggies and motion blur using the Pioneer.

With the Denon I saw nothing other than a detailed rock solid picture.

So in essence the Denon has slightly more detail but the image reproduction is smoother overall.

And that's using 720p.

Now I'm junking both for the Denon 1920 so that I HAVE a Universal player.

9. Fluffy-Bunny

Fluffy-Bunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now in my possession a Pioneer 575 and a Panasonic S97, which is percieved to give the better image?

10. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    same here.
    I think the 575 has a slightly sharper picture, with more grain. The S97 seems to have a smoother picture though, if that makes sense.

11. Herb

Herb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

That's thrown a bit of a spanner in the works, seeing as you've been in the fortunate position to test both and seem to think the Denon is better. Does anyone else have experience of moving from a component to a hdmi player and want to express an opinion as to whther it was worth it? :confused:

12. yellowpostit

yellowpostit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does the denon do 'blacker than black'?

13. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I'm afraid that the only wat to know which is best with your equipment is to try them side by side. Opinions are one thing but there's no guarantee.

My experience of the Pio vs a player with DVI (the Samsung 745) is that it is superior in all aspects, very importantly more detail. The Samsung seemed to have been "smoothed off" to cut down on noise. The Oppo is slightly superior however in terms of detail....PJ

14. giger

giger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Do you not just need to set the 575 picture to interlace though to get rid of these problems?
    I believe it also states this in the book if hooking upto a LCD or plasma display.

15. Herb

Herb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sony has now arrived to be set up tonight so really need to make a decision on this pronto.

I've now been looking at the oppo and I'm struggling to find fault with it from peoples comments, now the firmware issue seems to be resolved. Is anyone in a position to compare the oppo, the 575 and the 1920, other than price of course, or at least provide an opinion of which to plug for out of the 3??

16. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Possibly, I can't really comment on that.

However, what I can say is that the Denon produces an extremely stable progressive picture amongst the best I have seen.

17. giger

giger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The manual does recommend setting it this way to get a better picture on a plasma or lcd display. Might be worth a go as many ppl (me included) have said how good the component picture is on both CRT, LCD or PLASMA.

I think it's a config issue between the two devices.

18. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    Got my 565 connected to my projector projecting a 6ft picture. I haven't seen any jaggies or shimmering or anything like that. Perhaps an incompatibility with the LCD? :rolleyes:

565 is great for SACD & DVD-A and being only £99 means you don't have to think long and hard in a years time when you want to upgrade to HD.

19. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    not heard much mention of the 565, was it the forerunner of the 575?...PJ

20. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    Yea, they cart out a new model every year. I haven't been paying attention but I'm surprised a 585 isn't out already.

21. Herb

Herb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    585 is out but poorer reviews than 575, 575 still seems the better option and cheaper

22. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    There you go then :) perhaps the 565 was even better than the 575 then :D

23. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a Z3 projector and tried both a Pio 575 via component and a Samsung HD850 via HDMI.

The samsung picture through the Z3's HDMI totally blew away the Pio 575. The samsungs HDMI picture was rock solid and quite frankly, sublime.

The picture via component from the Pio 575 was very noisy and I saw jaggies sometimes, particularly on diagonals.

I'd have to qualify my comments by stating the poor picture from the Pio 575 I guess could have been down to the component cable or the Z3's component stage rather than out and out weaknessed within the 575.

I guess the moral of my story is to try both with your equipment if possible and keep the one that performs best for you.

Richer Sounds were good with me, only charging me a £5 handling fee to return the Pio 575 - eg Paid £99.99 and then was refunded £94.99 when returning it within a week.

24. Herb

Herb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, i think the only thing to do is test them side by side. the oppo seems out for time being due to upscaling issue with PAL, so I'm going to order the Pio575 from RC and also the Denon 1920 and see whether it is worth spending the extra on the Denon.

25. sparticus

sparticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    565 was the forerunner of 575. Ive owned both and I initialy kept the 565 as I thought it better for audio and about the same for pic. Sold both now though.

26. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Also, buy it from somewhere you can return it easily! Unfortunately for me it was the Pio 575 which blew away the Samsung which I bought from Pixmania and it wasn't worth the expense to return it!...PJ

27. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I had the 565 before the 575, the only differences are the 575 does both PAL and NTSC prog-scan (565 was NTSC prog-scan only), and also the 575 adds DIVX playback.
    For me the 575 gives great PQ on my CRT toshiba thru prog-scan component, and audio quality be it either DVD soundtracks, SACD or even CD is also great.

TTFN,

Graham.

28. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Yeah i now have two 575s one for my dlp and the other for my z1 pj. I have found while owning around 5 players over the last few months that the 575 offers the best all round package. Picture wise, sound wise and overall build qulaity. It has blew away some of my more expensive dvdplayers so off they went and now happy with two 575 till next gen media player arrive.

29. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I thought the whole idea of a progressive scan DVD player was to eradicate jaggies etc by doubling the output of the player (line doubling?). Surely by switching off the progressive scan output you are defeating the whole object of a progressive scan DVD player? Or am I missing the point?

30. gareth78

gareth78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just downloaded the latest manual and can't find anything in it recomending this. Doesn't this defeat the point of having a prog scan DVD?