Pio Plasma @ silly money?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by bones`, Dec 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bones`

bones`

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Dunno if anyone else has seen this but in my local edition of Loot there is a full page ad that reads..

PIONEER PLASMAS
    All brand new stock at a VERY cheap price. All screens come with media reciever and FREE delivery and installation anywhere in the UK, plus 12 months guarantee.
    (ONLY 2 models available)
    PDP/403/HDE 43" @ £2000 VAT inc
    PDP/503/HDE 50" @ £2500 VAT inc
    Telephone
    XXXXXXXXXX

Thats the exact add. I havn't included the phone number just in case i'm breaking forum rules but can anyone shed any light on this as the prices seem too good to be true? I'll ring tomorrow if i get the time. :confused:

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,860
    u might need oven gloves to handle them

3. PVR

PVR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wasn't there a break in at Owl Video?

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,055
    If you read the newspapers you may well have seen that this is a con. I wouldn't be in a hurry to give them my money!!!

Gordon

5. bones`

bones`

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I ain't naive enough to hand over 2k on the strength of a Loot advert but obviously it does get you wondering. I haven't seen anything in the newspapers please enlighten me. For what its worth I just rang the number and got the 'this mobile is switched off' message. :confused:

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,055
    I was going to say I bet it's a mobile number.

it seems these guys are taking folk for all their dosh and then doing a runner. There was a story in Scottish paper about a pensioner who had all their Xmas money lost by paying these folk and not getting a plasma. When the paper phoned the guy said they didn't sell plasma's but after some peruading offered a selection of white goods!

Those prices are miles below trade....it aint gonna happen

Gordon

7. Rich

Rich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    if you but one of these with your credit card,you'll be totally covered,so you'll get all your money back if you don't receive it.if you cant pay buy credit card,forget it.

8. bones`

bones`

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Just managed to get through on the number. Apparently they have premises in Windsor and they accept credit card payments. Tempted yes... If i am allowed to post the telephone number i will, can a mod let me know becaus if it is genuine then people deserve a shout at this price.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Bones

Just so I understand this.

Pioneer UK have NO STOCK of HDE models which are selling hand over fist through their retailers at £6.5K and £5K respectively but these guys have these units at approaching 50% of the best trade price available and its not a fishy deal!!!

I'd go pick up the display if I was you - in fact buy all the stock and sell it for a big profit!

Best regards

Joe

10. bones`

bones`

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    OK here's lowdown. The add is a full page colour one with a big picture of a pio display with the text as above. I rang the number and the guy said they have premises in Windsor. They take credit card payments and when I called they still had stock. He also quoted something like 2 days delivery. I should order one, especially the 50" er. Unfortunatley I ain't got 2.5k to burn and the wife will kill me if the deal went wrong although fair enough I will be protected by my CC company. I will sit and chew it over for the moment. The phone number is 07901 673742. If I am breaking any rules by posting that number then I am sure a moderator will edit the post. If anyone does actually order one please keep us updated. Although the displays are cheap I have a feeling that early new year these sort of prices will become the norm as plasma displays become mainstream. There are actually bargains out there, thats a fact. I have a mate who about 6 months ago walked into Box Clever and walked out with a Phillips 42" with tuner and a suberb beech and glass stand for £2000. They actually had 2 ex-display sold as seen but its been perfect for him and as the retail was somewhere near 8K??? with the accesories then a bargain is what he got.

11. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be ringing them tomorrow....I'll keep everyone posted as to how I get on.....if I get the right vibes I'm going for it!!

12. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Could you post the name of the company and the address (assuming this isn't contravening any forum rules).

I would be interested to check them out with a couple of online credit reference agencies and see if they are on the level.

Good luck!

13. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    If this is Gen then its gotta be done (a friend wants the 43" er) and I will buy a couple and sell them on, can you please PM me the number and name if you've got one.

Thanks.

14. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    I've heard of this before and that time it was a scam. Be very careful with yer money, folks.

Mike.

15. dfh28

dfh28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got stung for £1750 last year, the police could do or done nothing and i was one of 32 people that had money taken from them.

Heres the joke they had taken the guys pc as evidence on previous cases the week before and knew he was still doing it and still done nothing as did his bankers who actually called him in and he said the deposits where from friends, what did they do gave him a warning, they eventually closed the account.

If it seems too good to be true.........................., i must admit i was totaly taken with getting a plasma and in the excitement seemed to actually believe that i was going to get it and the guy on the phone was really nice etc then when he got the money nothing.

Beware..............

16. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spoke to a guy called Jaz today on the number above. He answered the phone as Electro something or other. Says there are still stocks left of both 43" & 50" models (although limited) all brand new and guaranteed 12 months. He first asked me where I was calling from as he was unable to supply if I was outside Europe! I have arranged to go over to Windsor on Monday as he wants to actually swipe the credit card and run some credit checks on me! I have no problem with visiting him as it will obviously give me an opportunity to see the set up & make an informed decision. Anyone else contacted them?

17. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,055
    Jonathon,

Make sure you leave with the actual unit in your car. Don't let them ship it to you.
    You should also note that these must be grey imports as it is impossible for them to come from Pioneer UK. Your warranty is with the seller of course though. So just hope they stay in business or it never breaks.

Gordon

18. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Gordon. I do fully intend to bring the unit home with me. What puzzled me a bit was why they will only accept credit cards in person.

19. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    The rules for 'Cardholder not Present' transactions are different from those when you are present, in this case I would judge that they are not allowed to perform transactions of the size needed unless the cardholder is present.

Also, your rights as a consumer are different when you go into their premises to make the deal vs a Distance Selling approach.

On a general note of paranoia, if you do go through with this *don't* let the card out of your sight at any time and if you are really worried, pay close attention to what they actually use to swipe the card, a PDQ terminal is just great, but I wouldn't want my card being read in any other non-standard type of card reader.

BTW, I hope you have a van rather than a car available since the plasma should be transported vertical not horizontal.

Do inspect the packaging and the above all do ensure that the model you are collecting is exactly the one you are expecting.

Mark

20. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Jonathon

If you intend to open up the packaging to see what's actually in the box (which I would want to do) its worth noting that Pioneer 'Bind' there cartons so once you cut the two binding straps you will then have to have some other form of binding to enable you to use the carry handles in the top part of the carton to lug the display around - otherwise you will need to lift the display from the base of the carton every time.

As Mark points out the HDE comes in two fairly chunky boxes - the R03 Media Box is in its own box along with the Dual Head interconnect cable and remote.

Best regards

Joe

21. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Hope this goes well. If it were me - and this is Plasma money so it wouldn't be - I would cancel my card by mobile phone no more than two seconds after leaving the premises. I just don't see where they can be getting stock from to sell so low - unless piscine. Selling card details can be lucrative though...

Mike.

22. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just stumbled across this thread during a search - what was the outcome - bargain or scam?

23. Dominic Hit

Dominic Hit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Quite a few Distributors of Plasma have been either hit or attempted recently.

There are Pana's and Pioneers floating around. Plus 30 odd new Hitachi's with no video boards!! Doh! There useless without...only good for PC apps.

Word of warning to anyone buying any "Cheap" plasma.....Its all tracked Via serial number. If it goes wrong.......your gonna get caught out!

With prices as low as they are buy from a reputable guy....Russ @ NexNix seems always up for a deal!!!:D :D :D

24. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,542
    It's not genuine - it's a country wide con. Don't buy from these guys.
    Closing the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.