Pio Pdp-436xde And Xbox360

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by AFSTER, Dec 27, 2006.

1. AFSTER

AFSTER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I have got a hd-dvd add on for the 360

now what resolution should i watch the films on using this tv

i have 720, 1080i and 1080p i think was the setting

i am using component but i can choose vga if necessary

what will give me the best image

2. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    why not try all three and see which looks best :D

3. capcom_suicide

capcom_suicide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16

Fair advice.

I have the same TV. It turns out that not all games are the same! But anyway:

Joytec VGA cable = Bit fuzzy & washed out colour
    Official VGA cable = Sharp but washed out colour
    Official Component = wonderful colours, but perhaps less sharp than VGA.

720p = Almost always best, and smoothest way to play 360 games. (This may also be down to the power of the console)

The big exception to the rule is Gears of War which looks much better at 1080i, and I have NO IDEA why, but it does.

Other games look jerky 1080i, but not GOW.

Don't forget to turn Pure Cinema off for Progressive, and On for Interlaced.

Cheers

CS.

4. Plastic Sith

Plastic Sith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Does anybody know whether the XBOB 360 1080p display setting will work on the 436XDE through a VGA cable?

I have tried it on component and all i get is a blank screen.

I know the 436XDE can output 1080p @ 24hz through the HDMI connection but can it do it throught the front VGA connection?

If not, looks like i'll another who's waiting for MS to produce an HDMI cable for the 360!

5. capcom_suicide

capcom_suicide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16

I can confirm that with both the Joytec and Official VGA leads, you get the same black screen on the 436XDE at VGA's equivalent 1920 x 1080 resolution. I have tried this myself, straight after the dash update.

However, as the 436XDE is only a 720p (well nearly 720p) set, why would you want to run 1080p? Won't this reduce the framerate of games, whilst not offering a noticable difference on your panel?

I think the sweetspot for games will be 720p for a while. Even the PS3 can't manage 1080p for complex games, look at resistance...

For the HD-DVD, I'm sure running at 1024 x 768 (Or 720p over component) will be nice enough.

As I have the same screen, let me know what you were looking to use 1080p for? Have I missed something obvious? :confused:

6. Plastic Sith

Plastic Sith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Cheers for the info Capcom.

More than happy with 720p for games (tho will certainly take a look at GoW on 1080i on your recommendation!)

Was more interested in 1080p and the 436XDE since just connected up the 360 HD-DVD drive and was curious.

Did have it on 1080i and that looked pretty nice............I say DID have because after a couple of hours of connection my XBOX has become somewhat unresponsive (3 red lights of doom!). Coincidence? A question for another thread methinks!

Thanks again:thumbsup:

7. chaparral

chaparral

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    I notice this myself with my xbox360 & my 436xde....Plus my xbox360 will not work at 1080p on my dell 24" widescreen PC monitor which has a res of 1920x1200..

8. Gixer1970

Gixer1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Being a bit new to all this, why turn off Pure Cinema for progressive and on for Interlaced with the Xbox on the XDE? There are three options (Off, Standard and Advanced)

Is there that much of an impovement?

Would one do the same with my Denon DVD player as I have this set at 720P aswell?

9. capcom_suicide

capcom_suicide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Have a look at the Pio XDE FAQ:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323983&highlight=Pure+Cinema+for+progressive+xde

quote:

Pure Cinema OFF (for progressive source) & STANDARD (for interlaced source), but see the question dealing with judder/interlacing in the Picture Quality section. It doesn't matter what this is for running in.

quote 2:

Q: I'm seeing DVD judder / scrolling text ticker tapes with interlace lines through it making it unreadable / seeing a slowdown effect on things like Football - how do I fix this?
    A: This relates to Pure Cinema settings. In the normal course of events, Pure Cinema should be OFF (for progressive source) & STANDARD (for interlaced source). If you see scrolling text with interlaced lines, try switching to one of these settings. Also make sure you're using the 100Hz screen refresh setting below.

However, in certain cases, you can set the Pure Cinema setting to ADV (Advanced) as it is likely to stop judder with NTSC DVDs (and won't effect PAL anyway and so is effectively off).

Pure Cinema essentially automatically detects a film-based source (originally encoded at 24 frames/second), analyses it, then recreates each still film frame for high-definition picture quality. Settings are as follows:
    OFF - Turns it off
    STANDARD - Produces smooth and vivid moving images (film specific) by automatically detecting recorded image information when displaying DVD or high-definition images (e.g., movies) having 24 frames per second. It helps prevent interlacing artefacts on, for example, SKY/Freeview, and is greyed out when watching PAL DVDs.
    ADVANCED - Produces smooth and quality moving images (as shown on theatre screens) by converting to 72 Hz when displaying DVD images (e.g., movies) having 24 frames per second. When watching NTSC DVDs this stops judder by converting 75Hz to 72Hz. 72 divided into 24 (fps) = 3, so there is no 3/2 pulldown taking place.
    Note these cannot be set as follows:
    "Standard" is not selectable when 480p or [email protected] signals are input.
    "ADV" is not selectable when PAL, SECAM, 576i, or [email protected] signals are input.
    Neither “Standard” nor “ADV” is selectable when 576p, [email protected], or [email protected] signals are input.
    You can also read this article here, which covers more ideas for Pure Cinema for a Pio 50" panel.

That is a great thread mate. I used the running in settings for about 400hours, building up to an amazing picture, and I get NO retention at all!

All Pio XDE owners need to read that one. :)