1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pio PDP-434HDE and DVE - still not satisfied!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by thebigkung, Aug 3, 2004.

1. thebigkung

thebigkung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Just need some advise as to where to go from here?

After much deliberation and review reading I have bought a Pioneer PDP-434HDE.
    I have the DVE DVD and used this to calibrate the monitor, but I’m never satisfied with the results. :thumbsdow

The Colours are perfect, the grey scale is perfect but the pictures still look very grainy and ‘mpegie’. Even the DVE demo pictures are not a ‘stunning’ as I’d imagine, with noise in large colour expanses where I’d expect it to be smooth. Am I just being picky or should thing look better? :suicide:

Also the overscan/safe picture size according to DVE says the it is best to adjust to 2.5% of the picture. The my Pio is set at 4% but there is no way to adjust it, any help here. This extra stretching may also contribute to a poorer picture? :rolleyes:

TheDVE is fine for the DVD input but how would I configure Sky. This is the main source of viewing, but the worst offender when watching. Is Sky really that bad a signal, and I’m not just talking about football? I’ve seen a £10000 B&O get a cracking picture from Sky so why can’t I get close. (I thing the B&O was just a Pani 6w with their circuitry though I may be way off).

Fan Noise. Anyone have this problem? It can be heard wiring away during quiet scenes, yet my Sky + fan is completely silent. :(

It’ll be nice to here your constructive comments. :beer: :beer:

Sky + run through RGB
    DVD (pio 625) run through RGB

Regards,

thebigkung

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Thats Why its £10,000 and you are way off, the screen is £5k and the controller is £5k so spend 3-4k on a scaler and you will get close.
    For DVD use component.
    And consider getting an Iscan HD to improve the quality. That or get a Pio 868 DVD Player and try RGB>VGA converter for sky.

3. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I thought the 434 was fan-free?
    Is there a fan in the input box?

4. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I had never realised so much "overscan" took place on convential screens until I tried the DVE disc. I have a panny PW6 and it has a button for "size/position" it works just like the hozontal/vertical adjustments of a computer monitor and I changed mine to cut off hardly anything, about 1% all round! Which on a 42" is a lot more picture when you consider the Panny's default setting was loosing about 5% around 3 sides, but nearer 10% on the left side!!! Maybe the option to change it is not as obviously placed on your Pioneer, or it might be in a hidden service menu maybe?

How far are you away from the the screen when viewing? You will always get a bit of colour noise at close up but sat far enough away your eye should not be able to distinguish it. I found the noise on my PW6 to be practially none existant when using the high quality test shots used in the DVE disc, if you're noticing noise on these images from your viewing position then you could have a problem...

If you are using Scart for both DVD and Sky then try and use a different connection. I find component gives a fantastic picture for my DVD player. If you have Sky+ try using the S-Video output or get a RGB>VGA converter if you don't mind spending a bit more money!

Also try getting some better quality cables in case they are picking up interference from somewhere. Are your cables all bunched up and stuffed behind your AV stand? Try untangling them and see if that clears up any interference, also if you've got your mains cables mixed up amongst them try to separate them too, so people also find attaching "ferrite cores" to their mains cables help too...

If your Pioneer is anything like my Panny then it will have a separate set of configuration options for each input. Once you've configured your DVD input (component in my case) then plug the DVD player into the input used for you STB (scart in my case) and configure that input too, you may want to do a bit of fine tuning when you plug your STB back in but for the most part it should be fine. I found when I configured the input used for my STB that the grey seemed a little too green, so I did a few adjustments in the advanced menu and that alone improved the PQ of my STB tremendously!

5. thebigkung

thebigkung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All, I will be moving to a DVD player with componet (or HDMI) when I can save the pennys, but surely I should be able to get a decent watchable picure without spending more money.

The Screen has a break out box. this has the fan in it. I always adjust the set at viewing distance. 3.5 meters(11ft). I have QED cables which are not bunched. The mains supply is filtered.

I can only think the overscan setting is in the service menu which is not availabe to me.

Also if I were to get a RGB>VGA then I'd have to have a lead permantly sticking out of the front of the breakout box as this is where the VGA Pc input is :(

Thank's for you comments. It'll be nice to have from other pio owners and get their reactions. Do any of you use the Iscan HD with a pio 434?

6. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I have the 504/868 and the picture via HDMI is stunning.
    No problems with noise or artifacts, except for those in the source material.
    Everyone who has seen it has commented how good it looks and almost 3D.

Don't know about this as I've never checked it on mine and wouldn't know how to.
    If it's something that you can't adjust anyway, why worry about it?

I have Sky+ and I have recorded a few movies that I have on DVD.
    Then, I pause the same scene on both DVD and Sky+ and adjust the AV1 input until the colours, brightness and contrast match the DVD image.
    Not easy but it's the only way I can think of doing it.
    I suppose you could also use a test signal if you can find one on one of the channels.

Exactly the opposite for me.
    My Sky+ fan is noisy, intrusive and annoying.
    Can't say I've ever heard the fan on my Media Receiver.

And I have my PC hooked up to the VGA input on the front.
    It's not pretty but by pushing the box back slightly it's not as noticeable and it's worth it.

7. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hiya,

As regards overscan, I don't believe there's any way to adjust it, even within the service menus. I seem to remember Gordon saying that in a post here a few months back. I hope I'm not quoting him incorrectly. It's possible he was just talking about the RGB input.

Speaking of which, I've found the overscan on RGB to be much more than on component or HDMI. For RGB it's around 5%, but for HDMI it seems to be more like 2%, which is fine by me.

Si