1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pio/Panny/??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rscott4563, Dec 18, 2003.

1. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I've just bought myself a Lumagen Vision from the classified section of these forums for what I think is a very good price for what should be a very good bit of kit. Before I bought the Lumagen, my plan was to get a 504 HDE in the new year, but now I'm having second thoughts, having spent nearly 700 on the Lumagen I now feel that my display budget may have to take a bit of a cut, after trying to read as much as possible on the Lumagen and other de-interlacer/scalers it seems that using one of these a great picture can be attained without using necessarly the newest plasma or the one with the best media box.

This is what makes me think that the Pio HDE's are possibly not the best option, as in the processing box would be surplus to requirements (apart from the HDMI, but then so far I haven't seen this in action and so don't know whether this really will be of any great importance over high quality component).

This got me thinking of either waiting for the Pio 504MXE (though that could be quite some wait, March/April?? and at what cost??), going for a Panny 50"PHW6B (about 700 less than the 504HDE), or going for a second hand plasma like a 5 series Panny or a Pio 503MXE (I've read a lot of good things about the 503MXE&Lumagen combo from Tbrar) if I could find one...

Any opinions would be really appreciated.... :smashin:

2. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    With regards to the above questions, I've seen a 10month old second hand Pio503MXE for sale for 3500 is this a good price, I've seen the Panny 50" 6series new for 4800 brand new so its about 1300 less, would people recommend buying a plasma second hand or with something like this is it best to go for new and have the backup of the dealer??

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've just seen in another thread that you plan to view from about 10ft away...are you sure that a 50" won't be too large especially as a big percentage of your viewing will be NTL which even through the Lumagen will not match the quality of DVD.

I sit 9ft away from a 37" Sharp LCD and view Sky+ through an iScan Ultra. The movie channels are great but the rest varies from watchable to dire. At 50" things can only get worse.

DVDs on a 50" from 10ft should be fine and would be very immmersive but standard TV shows could be a strain.

I very nearly went for a 50" Panasonic myself but am sure now that I would have made the wrong choice.

Cheers, Lee

4. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the response Loonatic,
    I know people say its very much down to personal preference on how far to view from, and I figured that as I currently view my 32" CRT from about 4-5ft and I do like an immersive picture, also as most people state that when viewing a projector a distance of 1.5 - 2 x the screen size is pretty standard I figured that at nearly 10ft away from a 4.1ft diagonal screen size with a resolution as good or better than most projectors (especially as with a PJ the image is blown up to a much bigger size) it would be spot on for DVD's and for NTL well I know I'm going to see some artifacts and some poor quality, especially on the low bit channels, but I think I seem to have a very good signal and on my 32" up close I pretty much never see any artifacts or digital blocking on any of the main channels (BBC,ITV,CH5,SKY1,MTV, etc), also I would consider getting a freeview box such as the Netgem to see if this would improve things further. And then theres the factor of the improvement the Lumagen will give me over a direct connection to the screen to take into consideration.

In the end I suppose its down to whether the improvement in my DVD watching experience will out way the inevitavble reduction in normal everyday TV watching, and to be honest although my viewing time is split 65/35 TV/DVD the importance of the quality of viewing is proabably split 40/60 TV/DVD and I wont be living where I am now for more than a year more as I currently rent, so if I really didn't like the up close image then I wont have that long to put up with it! ;)

Loonatic can I ask what you did go for, was it the 42" version, SD or HD, the other reason I wanted to go for a 50" over a 42" is the increased resolution, as with the Lumagen I hope to be able to make the most of this and so if I went for a 42" I would be looking for a HD version and then the price difference between the 42" and 50 " is pretty slim.

:smashin: :hiya:

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you can see that MXE running, and like it, it's quite a good price. It is a great combination, and together with some kicking sound, you will have amongst the finest HC setups available.

6. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks MAW, Sadly I found out last night that the second hand 503MXE has been sold, it was Alwyn's and although it was still on www.hififorsale.com as available, it was sold two months ago :( oh well...

Having looked around I don't seem to be able to find any second hand plasma's, seems people aren't in that much of a rush to upgrade last years models just yet.

I think that unless something really good turns up in the next 3-4 weeks, I will be going for a new 50" as then I can use the Barclaycard, get some good dealer support (most likely either Joe, Liam, or Ivojo), and then do a pricematch with the cheapest onliner....

It looks like it will be the TH50PWD6BX (even though I'm loath to hand over any money to Panasonic/Matsu****a after the terrible treatment I've received and am still receiving from them regarding my 32" CRT) as the wait for the 504MXE maybe just too long and with no price yet known?? Does anyone have any other suggestions, Fuji/Hitachi/etc...

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The fuji is a panny clone, and has a fuji 2 yr warranty. How does that grab you?

8. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I suppose that would at the least stop Mr Matsu****a getting my money but it would mean spending a bit more, are there any differences at all between the Panny 50PWD6BX and the Fujitsu P50XCA11 other than the name on the front? One better than the other?

9. BKATZ

BKATZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well to throw my two pence into the ring,

I recently compared the 50 PW5 & 10ES. (both connected via component to a pair of HK dvd 30 [one to each panel] side by side playing Attack of The Clones)

Now I fully expected to prefer Mr Panasonic, but the Fuji was the better picture(played with them both for a few hours)

However there is now a PW6 & v.soon the Fuji 30, so (sigh) I will be waiting to Jan to see these & the 504 all in a row.

Oh they never said it would be easy!!!

Happy Christmas All.

B.
    ;)

10. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Hi BKATZ,

My main plasma is a Fujitsu 5004 which produces a better picture than any Panny or Pioneer I have seen but the latest Pioneer seems to match it.

What do you know about new Fujitsu models? I would like to replace my Hitachi CMP4121HDE with a larger next gen Fuji and then my Hitachi will be available second hand

11. BKATZ

BKATZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  12. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not another set of plasma's to consider!! :confused:

As if my job wasn't going to be hard enough choosing between the Pio504HDE and the Panny50PW6....

Is the new Fujitsu P50XHA30 going to be one of the ones using the Panny 7 series glass??

13. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Hi BKATZ.

Thanks for that. I'll watch out for the 55" model over the next month or two.

Does rscott4563 want my Hitachi? 18 months old and good service so far. Just not quite big enough for me !

Stephen.

14. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Stephen

I take it your Hitachi is a 42" Alis type?

If it is then sorry but I'm a man after your own heart and only 50" will do :smoke:

Looks like if the new Fujitsu's are out in Jan then they may be a consideration, especially if they are using Panasonics new 7 series glass before Panasonic even use it themselves! Also the media unit seems to be well spec'ed in the connections department. Just have to see how much of a premium they come at, it always seems that Fuji charge that little bit more :(

15. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Hi rscott4563'

Yes it is the 42" Alis type. I'll just have to see if the kids want it. With the speed of development the second hand market seems nonexistent.

Stephen.

16. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm sure if it was offered to anyone who didn't have a plasma at a low price it would be snapped up, the trouble I've found is no one seems to be wanting to sell their old model to buy the new one, suppose thats probably down to the high price they had and still have, a lot of people probably figure on keeping one for a far few years before upgrading.

I know if I spend 5k on a tv then its staying with me for a very very long time unless i get offered a stupidly high amount for it (4k or there abouts) after a year in which case I'd be up for an upgrade..

17. BKATZ

BKATZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well as no-one else makes a 55 incher looks like it will be Fuji's own glass!

B.:)

18. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 55 will be but what about the 50" there was a definite rumour going around that Fujitsu would be using Panisonics 7 series glass before Panasonic themselves??

19. BKATZ

BKATZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    rscott4563

Just interested to kow where the "definate rumour" came from?

B.:)

20. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll do a quick search and see if I can find it, I'm sure I've read it somewhere, probably on this forum or one of the other forums!:eek:

:D

21. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    And I suppose the terms definite and rumour are probably not the best words to use together.... ;)

22. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Link

Above is a link to a statement by MAW who seems to know a bit about Plasma's, see the last post...

I'm sure I've read a few other things and will carry on looking...:D

23. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi there, I have no info on the new fuji 50", but bound to be panasonic based, 6 or 7 I don't know. The 55 is certainly made by fuji, haven't heard any detail on it, whether it's alis or not. I think not, but don't quote me on that one!

24. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Realised when I re read the post that it was in reference to the VCA30 which I assume is going to be the 852 X 480 SD type plasma and not the HD version such as the XHA10 type plasma.
    So I suppose unless anyone knows any different, the new 50" Fujitsu plasma will be using either the Panny 5 series glass as the current Fujitsu does or the newer Panny 6 series glass which would seem more likely...