1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pio HDMI AV Receivers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rscott4563, Nov 5, 2003.

1. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having bugged Pioneer for a week now I have finally had some answers from them mainly regarding the availability of HDMI cables, which they have confirmed they have no intention of supplying with any of their products.

However the biggest suprise I got from them was their statement saying that they have no plans at present to bring out a HDMI compatible AV receiver and seeing as things like this must be planned a long way in advance this is extremely worrying! Whats the point of having an all digital hi-def video and multichannel audio connection if we can't have a compatible AV receiver?!?! And this is from the company which is meant to be pioneering (no pun intended!) HDMI and is currently releasing 2 out of the 3 necessary AV components (display & dvd) with HDMI built in.......

2. whuuf

whuuf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    won't you connect the dvd signal to display using hdmi and dvd to AV receiver using pioneers i-link therefoe getting a complete digital circuit?

3. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen mention on some forums that the interface chips for HDMI only do the video side at the moment. This did worry me but if it's true that would certainly explain the lack of reciever/amp plans. I wonder if there are any HDMI display cards that support audio to confirm this?

I was planing to use i-Link anyway to the amp as it's the only digital link that's able/allowed to carry SACD/DVDA encrytped content. (Unfortunatly if Pio aren't doing a HDMI switching amp that means I've got one less excuse to put off my 7.1 amp upgrade... DOH! :) )

4. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Obviously thats an option, but the whole point of HDMI over DVI was its ability to handle multi channel audio. Otherwise whats the point of introducing HDMI on the new Pio plasma's in replacement of the DVI input??

5. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    It is inappropriate for me to comment on another company's products but I do know something about HDMI!

HDMI does quite a bit more than DVI in that it supports component video, interlaced (legacy) video and has a back control channel, like today's analogue AV Link on SCART. It also has a system called E-EDID whereby the source and display can interrogate each other and in principle deliver the optimum signal supported by both. At least some of the people behind HDMI see it as a long term replacement for the SCART socket.

There is other stuff too but that will do for now.

The HDMI spec supports high resolution multichannel audio but the first generation chips from the main vendor, Silicon Image, do not, although they can send SPDIF digital audio. The second generation chips will not be ready until mid next year and so probably not in commercial products until late 2004 at the earliest. In any case it is quite tricky (a JD understatement) to integrate them into an AV receiver which may further hold things up. In the long run it is the way to go though!

And finally, although an all digital link from source to display is unquestionably a very good thing, it is not at all guaranteed that a solution using this will be superior to an all-analogue solution from other vendors. There are many factors that contribute towards picture quality and a digital link is only one of them.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

6. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I tried to find more about this one in web but could not find anything more than that it means "Enhanced Extended Display Identification Data" (Hope it is not the same as that useless and annoying PnP monitor identification for PCs).
    It sounds to me video and not audio related. Is it about signal level or something else/more?
    Could you please give as just a clue what it should bring in?
    Thanx