Pio dv696 or Oppo 971hd?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gixxerman, Aug 5, 2006.

1. gixxerman

gixxerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    (Damn but the price-range I'm considering just keeps creeping up! ......esp seeing as my original idea was a Philips 5960 :rotfl: )

I have half an idea what people are liable to tell me on this one but anyhoo, Amazon have told me that me Pioneer dv696 in the lovely black is delayed by yet another 2 weeks.

So, I keep seeing this Oppo player mentioned and I have gradually been taking more and more notice of the excellent reviews and recommendations people are givng it.

It appears it might be the best option in the sub-£200 bracket.

But because I burn a lot of my own discs I'd like to know how it stacks up for Divx/Xvid and (IIRC the chipsets are similar) the Pio if anyone has experience of these players?
    That's a major point for me.

(....and were my eyes decieving me or did that 'wish list' really include a credible idea that the Oppo might go DivxHD through a new firmware? :eek: :clap: :thumbsup: )

What would folks advise, cancel the Pio and go Oppo?

Lastly is the Oppo available in black too?

2. Greg Mandel

Greg Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    There are loads of other places selling the 696 other than Amazon. There's quite a few links in the two big 696 threads. I got mine MR from KK Electronics.

3. mannyo

mannyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I just bought the 696 in black this morning. I paid slightly over the odds, as I wanted to deal with a shop rather than online. I must say I am really impressed it so far, it can play virtually anything.

The sound quality of SACD playback is awsome, as is DVD-Audio.

I have connected it to my TV via HDMI and use 720P for the progressive scan and the picture is amazing.

4. gixxerman

gixxerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Oh I know that Greg and that's fair enough but Amazon were doing the black 696 with free delivery for £120.
    Elsewhere a multi-region is usually £130 and up and as soon as I mention delivery to N. Ireland it's £20 on top (which at that weight and size is a ridiculous & outrageous rip-off posting rate IMO).

Which is why the Oppo with free delivery to anywhere in the UK at £160 suddenly looks interesting.