Pio BDP-140 Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by daveymcd, Jan 11, 2012.

1. daveymcd

daveymcd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    With pretty much a straight from the box configuration, I'm a little disappointed with it. I know it's a budget player, but my other HD sources are an original Thomson SkyHD box and a nearly as old Toshiba HD-E1 HD DVD player. Unfortunately, at the moment these are giving me (subjectively) a better PQ

My main PQ issues are:

1. what looks like noise/processing artifacts in large areas of similar colour e.g clouds. (I don't get this with my other sources) resolved via TV/Player settings
    2. poor black level differentiation (again not an issue with my other sources)

I have noise reduction set to zero - so that's an obvious candidate for change! What are the downsides to applying noise reduction?
    I've the color space set to YCbCr 4:4:4, as this is what my calibrated Sky box uses and seems to give more natural colors than 4:2:2. I don't think my display supports extended RGB.

All other settings are at their defaults. Any suggestions as to how I can overcome the issues above?

resolved :)

Also, the current version of the euro firmware seems a little buggy:

When browsing DLNA sources it confuses photos with videos
    It can hang when browsing a long file name
    Playing files it doesn't like can cause it to hang
    It won't send 1080p24 to my display although it accepts 1080p24 inputs

and finally, to top it all off, the UK version doesn't contain the Netflix app.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  2. daveymcd

daveymcd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Any opinions? Send it back/spend more money?

3. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,799
    has the player got any adjustment for brightness and things like that, find out if your tv will accept the rgb,
    i found that the toshibas i bought needed to be adjusted in there own menu and set the brightness down to -10 and it made a world of difference everything seem washed out elses and it picked up all the artefacts in the shadow areas. now the picture quality looks great.

4. daveymcd

daveymcd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It does, although still haven't sorted the black issue, but artefacts are gone, solved as I discovered a "user" error in the TV settings (Pure Cinema set incorrectly).