1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pio Ax5i great in stereo - Home demo Vs 2ch amp with top CD players

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Matthew J Taylo, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I had some fun over the weekend demo'ing x2 cd players as a part of my experiment with integrating a 2 ch amp into a home cinema (Pio Ax5i) set up to achieve better stereo sound.

Cyrus CD6 & 6vs Amp

The Amp/CD combo Needed quite sometime to "warm up" & was quite lumpy on initial play. Once it had warmed up though it was very nice but a little overblown, i.e. some loss of detail for sheer power & a little boom (not quite as tight as I like my bass).

I did notice an increased level of detail when playing the CD6 directly into my pio Ax5i av amp (via stereo direct mode) but on balance I didn't think it was enough to replace my Rotel RCD-02.

Outcome - more impressed with the cyrus 6vs amp than the CD6.

Arcam A80 & CD192

I've home demo'd the CD192 before & once again I was very impressed with the level of detail this cd player pulls out. Not only very impressive detail, it's combined with power & good grip of bass, excellent (it made me smile whilst playing disc's, I did feel a little silly!!).

Not so impressive was the A80. It was fine when directly hooked up to the 192 but the 192 was actually better conected to my Pio Ax5i in stereo direct mode - SHOCK - AV Amp better than dedicated 2 ch amp!! Of Course this is just my opinion but the good wife, whilst not entirely interested did back this up.

The A80 does have the neat processor mode which makes it easier to live with when in 5,6.1, i.e. not having to re-adjust volume's to match processor's gain (volume) & this was quite easy to set up.

I just don't think the amp has enough clout/power (65 watts) when integrated with my Pio Ax5i (105 watts).

Overall

the Arcam Cd192 is a cracker & IMO worth the £850. My Pio Ax5i is better than expected in 2ch stereo when partnered with a quality cd player.

Playind CD's via a £600 2channel stereo amp compaired to the same CD players hooked up to my Pio Ax5i via the same interconnects didn't actually achieve any signifcant improvements in sound, in both 2ch & 5,6.1 & IMO - not worth additional the money.

Maybe I will look into a 2nd hand A85 as these have more power or even a secondhand FMJ A32 but I think at the moment, my money's going into a quality CD player - may also have to home demo the Cyrus CD8x.

Cheers all

Matt :beer: :smoke:

2. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Hi Matt,

Interesting test, however, one question - did you compare the performance of the external CD players with your 868 hooked up via I-link where the amp was doing the decoding. In this configuration how did the pioneer combo fare?

Cheers

Joust

3. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joust,

I didn't actually test this set up at the time but I have been generally impressed with any sound via the iLink facility. I used this set up when my CD player's tray was getting fixed.

I will have another play soon & let you know.

Matt

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Matt - let us know how oyu get on with the CD192 you just bought :thumbsup:

5. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Source is always important :)

I sold my CD5400 because the DACS in my SR7500 (and prior SR7400) sounded better to my ears than the ones in the CD Player :eek:

I was only using it as a transport, and the Pioneer 668 was a better transport than the CD5400 anyway, so was really a no brainer.

I have no space on my rack right now for a CD player anymore :( Unless it is very thin.

6. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tejstar,

Thanks matey, I will let you know how I get on.

I'm a little nervous as it was my 1st ebay win so I hope the guy doesn't shaft me!! I've already cocked up the paypal payment!

If I didn't win I was going to look at buying a Cyrus CD6 (ebay about £310) & upgrade to the CD8x (£550).

I think the cd192 for 600 notes is a great deal :beer: :smoke:

Matt
    PS Apologies to the mod's if I've broken any rules about mentioning the ebay word!!

7. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KAZMAN,

I still think that you can find better 2ch hifi sound with a dedicated cd player, you just may need to spend a bit more than you did for the 5400.

As I'm finding out, the stereo capabilities of the av amps is certainly improving, as mentioned above my Pio amp was actually better that the cyrus 6vs or the Arcam a80 IMO (both £600 quid amps).

Go & home demo the 192, or even the 7300 (if you wan to keep it marantz, not quite fair comparison though as this is approx £300 Vs £850). I'm sure your new 7500 will truely sing

Matt

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    You'll be fine mate, don't worry! He tried to sell it twice before but got no interest as he set a too high starting price.

He's got 100 per cent record so you'll be alright.

9. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The CD192 sounds interesting, might look into one later in the year :)

10. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kazman,

We all have our own tastes in music & style of which different CD players will either enhance or hold back.

I demo'd the CD73t last year & found it really flat & "boring" next to the rotel RCD-02 & the Marant 7300, eventhough the Arcam was the 5 star award winner.

The best thing I've found about the CD192 is that it's not the relatively "boring" CD spinner from Arcam (IMO). It has real scale & power with great levels of detail.

I'm sure if you try it out later in the year you hear & diff on your new 7500...

Matt

PS - hows the ickle blue LCD coming along!

11. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tejstar & Kazman,

Just recieved the CD192 this moring as described etc..

can't wait to have a play, the only thing it's missing is a blue LCD! :laugh: :D

Cheers

Matt

12. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Excellent :D Look forward to reading your thoughts on it :clap: :thumbsup:

13. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The guy on ebay was right, looks like the player hadn't been used much as the remote was still in its plastic!!

I've been playing discs for about 12 hours through it & its starting to settle down. A touch splashy to start with but I expected that as most reviews have said it needs time to "bed in"..

Unfortunately we have bloody guests all w/end so I can't give it a proper crank until Sunday night.

I will feedback

Matt

14. goatlips

goatlips
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mat,
    How does the 868 compair with the CD192 via I link? I am thinking about getting a CD73T but not really sure that it plays better than my 868.

15. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was also surprised how good my pioneer 1014 was in strereo, even using a cyrus tuned Limit 900SE humble dvd player ,and my marantz cd player ,compared to my rotel pre /power amps the pioneer had it .AMAZING. By the way my old marantz cd player £500 in its day is no better than the Limit 900SE dvd player imho, that also is amazing, i thought.but the Limit has been tweaked by cyrus and things move on i suppose?. :smashin:

16. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Abnett,
    I'm happy the see that some of the av amps are taking 2 ch music seriously & maybe it's the reviewers who are perpetuating the myth about av amps & crap stereo.

Goat Lips,
    Will test the CD192 next to 868 via ilink during the week to see if I can hear any sign diff & let you know.

Cheers
    Matt :dts: :eek:

17. montrone2

montrone2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

my idea was to have one system for music and video.
    i like to listen Cd and watch concerts on dvd -then some movies too!
    I live in a normal flat so I cannot stand the levels of a cinema house, so what i need is a good audio which fills the room with good sound!!

So i went to buy the entire pioneer chain -Pioneer VSX-AX5-is and Dv 868 -ilink -, supposing to get a good system.

But now i am not very happy about the sound of the system...this is my experience:

FACTS

1) I noticed the big difference in video and audio from 868 compared to a old philips cheap dvd player,

2) Using 868 i-link sounds better than analog in: the sound is more detailed and clear...but i am not happy.

3) I tried to bi-amp(using rear channels) using van den hul clertrack and it was not very different (maybe a little clearer sound).

I am getting crazy with configs and eq, direct or not, large or small, crossover, tone etc....

The music (cd and dvd musical video ) is not involving as it is extremely crisp, and flat to me!!
    Sometimes i feel some electronic sound in the high frequencies, which make the sound very cold!!

Some expets told me that this is the musical setting done for movies (bullets, copters, etc..) so whayt I really is need to switch the amplifier (which is great for movies) with a pair of real musical amplifer(valvle pre+integrated final). I should get rid of the central speaker and connect directly the DVD analog to the amplifiers(2) .

So i did an experiment: buyng on e-bay a cyrus 6vs for 450 Euros. Then i found this thread!! ooppss!! :thumbsup:

Now it's to late to backup, i am waiting the amp in the next days. I hope to get a different result!!

from this thread appears that you are looking to a better stereo, but the soultion is a better source!!

Suggestions??

let's see......(i wil post too!!)
    someone has experience in that?

bye