1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pio 868

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nevd, Jan 3, 2004.

1. nevd

nevd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am looking at getting a new DVD that will be connected to a panny PW5. Was looking at the 668 but a phase 3 dealer pointed out the 868 which has a "built in scaller".

The selling point suggested was that one could input a sky digi box to the RGB scart and have the signal up-scaled by the player. Is this true??

Also I was under the impression that the scaler only worked on the HDMI output, not the component out?

Experiences, comments appreciated.

2. mseabroo

mseabroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Don't take this as gospel as its just my understanding and may be incorrect.

I beleive that the scaller output is only avilable via the HDMI connection and not the Component [but sombody who has an 868 may be able to confirm or refute this]

I also saw a post over on the AVS forums that also indicated that Pio litrature gave the impression that the US equivalent of the 868 could upscale other soureces and re-output them, however the post indicated that this was in fact not the case.
    [again I can't confirm from personal experience]
    So if this is important to you ask the dealler to demonstrate the feature to you.

BTW whats a phase 3 dealler ?

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    phase 3 hifi..... very good crew

ad

4. nevd

nevd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply. It would be great if some 868 owners confirm confirm whether or not external source up-scalling is possible.

Hopefully, getting a home demo next week so will post results if I get anywhere.

5. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't use HDMI (no HDCP on Plasma). I have seen no sign of any scaling on component output - there's nowhere to say what resolution you want to scale to except on HDMI. I'm sure it won't scale Sky, or even pass through an RGB signal. Why would it be a good idea? The screen already scales to its native resolution. Another minor irritatin that would affect me is that my AV amp doesn't let me assign the same video input to two devices - when I switch between Sky and DVD I must switch video inputs.

My reason for the 868 over 668 is audio - getting hi resolution jitter-free digital audio in to the AV processor - i-link is the only way (for now) that is permitted for SACD or copy protected high res DVD formats.

6. mjones0

mjones0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was considering either the Pioneer 868 or the 668 to use with a HS20 I just ordered, and I had a question about the scaler.

If I were to get the 868 and set it to output 720p the image would be scaled once by the DVD player and again by the projector. If the scaler in the HS20 is as about as good as the TREX scaler in the 868 then surely having the image scaled twice will produce inferior results to just having it scaled once by the projector (as would happen if I got the 668)?

I'm not really intrested in the ilink so I may as well save a couple of hundred pounds if I'd be better off not using the scaler in the 868.

7. zoro

zoro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    does 868 scale via component too?

8. Garnot

Garnot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To 720p/1080i only through HDMI. Component options are 480i and 480p.

9. Graham Sims

Graham Sims
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ive just tried it, it doesn't work with hdmi, I put the scart cable from sky+ into both scart sockets on 868, but got no picture from hdmi etc.

868 is connected with molex hdmi cable into 434.

As I suspected its just a passthru.

Cheers,

Graham

10. Garnot

Garnot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Graham,

Does the HDMI indicator in the unit front light up when you connect the 868 to the 434? Also, you have to enter to the menu to change the HDMI resolution.

11. mattmarsden

mattmarsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I take it that the 668 / 868 both do proper 2:2 pulldown for PAL film material?

12. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    big assumption to make these days!

ad

13. mattmarsden

mattmarsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Do you think may not have then Buns?

14. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well i dont doubt that it is there, but it has been shown in the past that machines originating/produced mainly for NTSC land can be somewhat less successful here in PAL land. So i guess what im saying is probably better stated 'it will probably do NTSC better than PAL' though it will undoubtedly do pal, just the quality that is in question. It will take someone knowledgeable who has seen it to comment and tell us for sure....

ad