Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Pio 868 with 4th gen plasmas & hdmi

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ratoban, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Ratoban

Ratoban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, is the Pio dv868 the best choice to use with the 4th generation Pio plasmas using HDMi or can better results be had using, say an Denon 2900,Arcam dv88+ or similar progressively.
    Any opinions info gratefully received.
    Rob.:confused:

2. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the same dilemma?
    I was thinking of using the Samsung HD931 or 935 with it.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
  4. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon is most probably right. What he is not speaking out is though that this impression is not due to the superiority of analogue vs. digital but due to the inability of Panasonic to integrate a functioning DVI connection in their SIXTH generation plasmas....

5. Ratoban

Ratoban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gordon excuse my ignorance but did you mean Pioneer ? or are you leading us to the fact that you feel the Panasonic is better?

Rob.:confused: :confused:

6. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Gordon where do you base "your own feeling"????? I am very surprised with you on this one. Looking at an HDMI picture to me is really hard to even say that an analog Panny feed is superior!!!!!! Have you seen the same HDMI feed everybody else has??? I am sorry but in various threads you appear to be very much against the new Pioneer plasmas but I have not seen any good reasoning or data as to why is this.

7. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    well it does appear a general divide is appearing over DVI/HDMI, and a good analouge feed that is not just related to plasma.
    PJ people also are in the same boat. some have tried there HDCP connection via various dvd players and some say they see a small improvment, others boast a near HDTV resolution (which is complete crap) yet others see no difference and some as said are sticking to component.
    many on various forums do not like the picture DVI/HDMI give and prefer the image from component.
    it comes down to personal taste which is what gordan has stated in his post.
    Costas i have read many of your post and you are an obvious pioneer fanboy and rightly so as you are well happy with your stuff and thats great. personaly the pioneer isnt enough of an improvment other my pany or the 503 i had(yet it is an improvment) so i went and demoed pjs which are a vast improvment over the hdmi pioneer for less or same cash.

But having seen HDMI in action with the pioneer screen and868i dvd player(which my friend owns) when hooked up with my 9500e we couldnt realy tell the difference other than very slight less pic noise and to a complete stranger id wager they would of stuggled to tell the diff. except the tosh gave a better filmic pic which we both agreed.
    we will test the A11 as soon as my machine arrives. but again from what ive heared many cant realy spot the differnce less they get real close to the screen and whats the point in that.

i will ad i like the 434and think it is the crrent queen and the 504 the king. (of plasma that is)

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    OK Here we go.

I thought this post was about Pannies. It's not. It's about Pioneers. My comment was quite clear in that it was about Pannies. My basis for that comment was having sat for several hours feeding one DVI from a scaler and also analogue from the same scaler and from a second scaler. I've posted several times on here and other forums that analogue 50Hz in to PannyD6 was worst followed by DVI at 60Hz then best was analogue at 60Hz.

I have commented on HDMI and 434 Pioneer only a few times and I have been quite plain in why I said what I said. I have eyes and I can see. My comment on HDMI to 434 was based on seeing it at the Scottish HiFi show. On that occasion I was unable to verify if the devices were set up correctly. What I saw was poor de-interlacing and scaling coupled to vertical banding when being fed HD 1080i material in analogue form. Whether this could be alleviated by re-configuring of the source or display device I do not know. I reserve judgement as to the ultimate performance of these devices and this interface until I see it working and can verify the set up.

I make no claim as to the superiority of Pioneer or Panasonic. I have owned both (433mxe, 42d6). Each has issues I dislike, each is a compromise.

Just as you wouldn't trust something someone said (I'd hope) without verification yourself neither will I. Hopefully I'll get time to go over to Joe Fernands at some point and spend longer time with the Pioneers once he has his HDMI stuff. Until then I wait.

Hope this clears up any misrepresentation that folk may think has gone on.

Gordon

9. Ratoban

Ratoban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So does that mean i should buy the Arcam?.........:laugh:
    Rob.

10. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    the arcam will sound better but i would for the 868i. its hdmi output is almost equal to a £1500 dvd deck outputting component so for £780 multi region its a no brainer.
    if then u upgrade to a pio amp you can use ilink to close the gap via sound

i take it the forth gens are the 434 and 504 yes?

11. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Gandley, thanks for the comment. Just to clarify: Everything I have said relates to plasmas. I have not done anything with projectors. After many tests on Panasonic v Pioneer plasma, I prefer Pioneer to my eyes / taste.

12. Ratoban

Ratoban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gandley, yes 504 to be exact, but struggling to wait till next year.

Thanks for the input, i have actually ordered an 868 but obviously haven`t seen it perform and i am a little unsure whether to go for a high end player.
    Does anybody know if this player (868) has an audio delay function in case of lip synch issues?
    Rob. :devil:

13. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    no audio delay on player. this is for amps and not all have it.

but as the 868i is digital out via hdmi there shouldnt realy be a need for it as there no conversion to delay the video in the first place(other than deinterlacing)