1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pio 868 v mtz7600 v dn 2910? for a pio plasma?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by round-eye, Oct 23, 2005.

1. round-eye

round-eye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    been reading some of the threads about 'best for 436xde' and as of monday have the same problem! yippeeeeeeeee!!!!!

it seems that the marantz 7600 gets the nod over the denon2910, but how does the 7600 v pio 868 compare if both the same price?

all views respected

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
  3. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Don't forget the Pioneer has i-link out for DVDA and SACD which the Marantz doesn't seem to. Don't you need the 9500/9600 for that?

(I was looking at the 7600 against the new Pioneer 989).

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    If your amp has i-link then that is a big plus for the 868.

The only thing I'd say though is that the image is a lot cleaner on the Marantz, didn't notice it before, but there was a lot of noise on my old 668 Pioneer (which is very similar to the 868 bar the scaler and i-link).

The 989 would be a good buy though :)

I'd still opt for the DV7600 over the 868 any day. It also looks a LOT nicer in the rack too, the Pioneer is better built though, and feels like it has been carved from solid steel, whereas the DV7600 feels a little lightweight by comparison. It still has brilliant build quality, but the Pioneers is better.

5. Neil08

Neil08
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've auditioned the 868, 668 and 7600 over the past month. IMHO the 868 had the best pq of the three. Does seem to be tricky to get hold of now tho. IIRC, the 668 & 868 have different Video DACs, which might explain the sharper picture.

According to their website, 7oaks in Ipswich have an ED 7600 for £380, which looks like a bit of a bargain (assuming it's in good condition obviously).

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    £380 is an absolute steal!!!! :eek:

If I could justify it, I would have gone for the Marantz DV9500/9600, but alas, with the new formats not more than a year or two away, the thought of spending £1500 on a DVD player was just plain scary :) :rolleyes:

I can't possibly comment on the 868i, as what I have seen of it in action has been limited, but after having the 668 for a long time, and then the DV7600, after calibration, the DV7600 was quite a few rungs up the ladder.

If there is a difference in picture quality, I don't think there will be much in it, and the musical ability of the DV7600 should even out any if there is.

Either way, the 868i or the DV7600 would do you proud :D both are awesome DVD players, and do their respective manufacturers proud :D

7. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PIO, stay well away from the Denon, it's a pile of ****, I have one and it has failed time and again, so its going back to the shop and I've a Pioneer 989 on order.

The one thing I can say is that I've had, up until the Denon Pioneer players since 98, and they have been amazing in every way. The Marantz, is a good player but I know mates who have had them and they have been nothing but problems.

It's up to you but the new Pioneer 989 will be the best player out there before HD-DVD...

8. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Bit strong to say the Denon is a pile of erm, whatever is supposed to be in place of the asterisks :). Every manufacturer has some dodgy models that fall through the gaps. Heck, the main reason I sold my Pioneer DV668 on was because Pioneer ballsed up the communication to DVI over HDMI. That and I wanted upscaling capability.

There are many happy 2910 owners on these very forums :) I almost thought about getting one myself :).

There is one thing I'll say about Pio players, and that is that they are sooooo well built, and are great performers, I LOVED my DV668, but the DV7600 is a lot better, I'm also going to stick my neck out and say that the Marantz DV9600 is a better player than the Pio 989.

The 989 will almost undoubtedly be a better movie performer than the DV7600, but, I doubt 99% of people will notice the difference :).

Pio Plasmas also have an issue with black levels, something the DV7600 excels at, so that would help with the Pio Plasma a great deal.

Overall though, either the Pio or the Marantz will serve you well, my advice is to demo both if you can, most dealers should have your Pioneer plasma on display too, so will be a good way to judge the players.

9. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Kazman, didn't mean to offend! It's just been hard work for me and I know of a few other who have had problems with the Firmware of the 2910, it also blocks bad.

One other thing, which I neversee mentioned around here is the compatability of players and screens, I think that LCDs show up the problem with 2910s more so.

10. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    None taken at all matey :) I've done a bit of digging around and also found quite a bit of info on the macro blocking issue on the Denons, including the 3910 :eek:

My Pio 668 and Sagem TV hated each other :D and would only talk via component, they just argued when communicating via HDMI/DVI.

11. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    What makes that fault even stranger is that the 668 and 7600 are second cousins as it were. Marantz have been good at implementing HDCP correctly in the past so I assume they got it right again.

12. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    It's not just that, the DV7600 gives a much cleaner picture too, far less noise, and the added bonus of up to 1080i output :D

13. round-eye

round-eye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey sorry about the delay but the old saying of "like a child with a new toy" springs to mind!

dv7600 certainly looks good so far but does the 868 do 1080i

as it is i cant seem to see that either one has something over the other? (other than what kazman says about the black, which rightly has been said about the pio 436)

14. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The 868 does 1080i as well yes :)

The SR7600 purposely gives a darker image to give a more cinematic presentation in darkened rooms. the flipside of this is that it will undoubtedly help those plasma owners who have issues with their screens black level just not being deep enough, the amount it will help is still open to debate though.

15. round-eye

round-eye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gutted!
    it seems the ed 7600 at sevenoaks is no longer on their site grrrrrr! at that price it seemed the obvious choice!