1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pio 757 PAL prog scan upgrade - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nhk, May 4, 2004.

1. nhk

nhk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of upgrading my 757 to PAL prog scan. Given that I find the picture absolutely superb as it is, can anyone who has a) had the upgrade performed or b) seen the 757 before and after PAL PS upgrade, let me know if it is worth doling out close to £90 for this firmware change.

Grateful for your advice - thanks.

Regards

nhk

2. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I guess it depends on your display, but on my Sony projector I'd have to say no, but then I wouldn't have been happy without finding out for myself.

I guess if your display has good deinterlacing then you won't notice that much difference.

The difference between interlaced and progressive on NTSC seems larger than the difference on PAL.

Hope this helps

Slingshot

3. nhk

nhk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    using a plasma (Panny 50" series 5) connected through component via Denon 3803. Do you think this may show up any advantage?

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Have you tried to look at the difference between ntsc progressive material and non progressive. I have a 757 that is ntsc progressive only and on my pj i can only just see a difference, therefore i didnt think that to me it was worth £90 or so to upgrade to pal progressive.

5. nhk

nhk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the input. I find it hard to see the difference on NTSC prog or non-prog. Either I am not discerning enough or the 757 does such a good interlacing job that it is not worth the extra money.

6. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It does vary a lot depending on DVD, the film I have that shows it most is Star Trek Nemesis on Region 1.

But I find the difference on R1 bigger than any R2 discs I have, so probably save your 90 quid and buy some more DVD's/Beer or loose women (not sure what 90 quid will get you ?)