• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pio 656 SDI mod or new Pio 989??

S

sirshambling

As part of my AV upgrade I want to improve the PQ of my DVDs.

At present I have a 3 year old Pio 656 that I could have SDI modded to get "unprocessed" images or I could purchase a new Pio 989 which allows "unprocessed" signals to pass through in any case.

The cost of the mod and an SDI board in a VP30 scaler is about the same (give or take) as buying the new player but could anybody tell me which of these options would provide the better PQ? The chances of a side by side demo seems to be pretty remote.

Thanks. John.

Monk888

To be honest having seen the 665 (a great player in it's day), the Pio 989 (which I just bought) is a massive jump in PQ and movie sound quality.

Be aware the Pio 989 needs some custom settings to enable the best PQ for any given display, once configured correctly the PQ is Outstanding.

I paid £730 for mine, shopped around and got my local dealer to price match.

Not sure about comparison with scalers using the 656, but from what I can geather many are using the 989 as the transport for a scaler.

In my eyes, the Pio 989 is a great self contained scaler and transport, one box solution, IMHO you will not find a sharper picture this side of £1500.

But to finish, the great thing about the 989 is the nunber of custom setting you can make, Picture noise is very very low. Even movies from the 1970 are vitually noise free and look great upscaled.

Cheers,

Mike P

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom