Pio 575

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by LCD User, Nov 1, 2005.

1. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just had my Philipd 9986 LCD screen back for the third time from A Novo (Philips Flat screen services) and the problem with my DVI socket is just the same. I have a clear picture but it looks like I'm watchin the screen with red transparent paper over it. I'm using a Pio 575 (which I got from richer sounds) with progressive scan though a VGA to component cable into the philips standard ATI DVI to VGA adaptor. I'm really frustrated and well pee'd off as this has been on goin for over 2 months and A Novo say there is no problem with the Screen or the DVI socket.
    Could this be a problem with the Pio 575 as I tried another pio 575 through the DVI to component cable and it gave the same reddish hue on the DVI channel when running DVD's

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    That sounds a bit of a convoluted connection path. The Pio is great of you want to connect it via component, if you want something to feed a DVI socket I suggest you look at a player with DVI or HDMI...PJ

3. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but using a DVI to VGA convertor and VGA to component cable this set up to the PIO 575 should work, right?

Can anyone suggest another DVD player then?

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Does the screen have SCART or component connections, if so have you tried those with the 575?...PJ

5. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The screen had scart /DVI/ Svideo and composite. I have used the composite and scart connections to the Pioneer 575 and they are fine

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    OK, SCART should give a very good pic but I don't think you get prog scan over SCART.

If the screen had component connections I'd be advising you simply connect the 575 that way, you'd have to spend quite a bit to improve on it.

However, as it doesn't then you may be able to improve using the DVI. The Toshiba 350 seems to be well liked (and it's even cheaper than the 575), you'd need a HDMI to DVI lead but that's standatd stuff.

If it were me I'd be ordering an Oppo (£173), amazing picture quality and it's DVI...PJ

7. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks PJ, I've spoken to richer sounds they will take back my Pio 575 after explaining the greetin match I've had with sending back the LCD 3 times to Philips.

Where can I get an Oppo for £173? I take it is multi region? That it should answer my problem using the direct DVI supplied lead? How is it with music playback onn CD or SACD etc?

8. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also PJ what is the cable that comes with it?
    The oppo seems to have a DVI socket on the back of it. Does it run DVI to DVI on my LCD or DVI on the oppo to HD conection on the LCD? Sorry if I sound dumb!

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I bought mine from here...

http://www.itsupplies.net/product_info.php?products_id=247

Looks like they are currently out of stock but should have more in very shortly - their delivery is amazingly fast (usually less than 24 hrs). Note price displayed is ex VAT and delivery.

You can state whether you want a DVI to DVI cable or a DVI to HDMI cable - you need the former (presuming it will be long enough).

The sound from the Oppo seems excellent, it doesn't play SACD though (it does play DVD-A).

...PJ

Edit: actually it looks like it's the DVI to DVI cable they are out of stock on - not the player itself - unfortunately that's the cable you need!

10. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks PJ, have been in touch with them. THey are getting the latest firmware players next week along with DVI to DVI cables. About 1m -1.5 m will be fine.
    This may be the answer to my problems!!!!!!
    Ps, Not too bothered about SACD as long as it plays standard CD and CD/R

11. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I think you are going to be in for a treat! Good news about the firmware, great thing about Oppo is that they've really worked on getting this player right and we are benefitting from the suggestions of many "early adopters"...PJ :)

12. Ross82

Ross82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    LCD User!

Pm mate! :thumbsup:

13. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This amazing Email came from Ross 82.
    This looks like the problem!
    Thanks Ross

Morning LCD User,

I read your thread yesterday but didnt want to send a reply as i was waiting on a new cable that should of sorted the same problem out as you.
    Well, the cable has sorted the issue which is good news and i can say that its neither the 575 or the screen which is causing the issue, its the signals being sent through the cables.
    I had my 575 running component to a component-vga switch box and then into my Projector via the VGA input. The colour of the image was very red, and like you said, almost like watching it through a red filter.
    After many emails back and forth to the PJ company and the DVD company, neither of them could give me an answer until i managed to sort it myself. Now the next bit i hope is going to make sense to you so here goes.
    The signal i was sending was not the signal i wanted (or LCD in your case)
    I thought by sending the component through a switch box to a vga lead the other end it would of been the same component signal running straight through, just with different connectors either end.....It wasnt, the switch box changed the component signal from Ypbrb - Rgb which is standard for a vga input, by selecting the component input on the PJ the image was incorrect.
    Yesterday i got a component-vga lead which kept the same signal which i needed and the image is perfect.
    Now thats the short version anyhow.
    Looking at your post it seems you have the same problem but with the DVI to VGA adapter.
    Do you have either an option on the tv to change what signal the vga input is accepting (I.E RGB, RGB-HV, component) component should be the one you need to match the output of the player or if you tv has a vga input as standard, bypass the dvi bit and plug straight in (see what picture you get then)

I know this is really long winded but i was so frustrated like you were trying to sort the picture out and now ive got mine sorted.

14. Ross82

Ross82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    no worries LCD User,
    sorry it was a bit long winded!
    Im just glad i wasnt the only one having this problem.
    Im sure there was a guy on here having a similar problem with his Z2 i think?
    i wonder if he's got his sorted?
    Glad i could help.
    :thumbsup:

15. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ross but I'm going down the oppo DVI to DVI route and if it doesn't work then it's a Philipd 9830 32" as a replacement for the 9986 that#s given me such a headache withthe DVI socket!